The Canon EOS R1 is rumored to be the flagship of Canon’s EOS R series full frame mirrorless system. It will be a direct rival to the ludicrously powerful Sony a1. Also, the EOS R1 can put us in a non-DSLR environment that does the same job; as this will likely be a pro-grade sports camera.
We do expect to see the Canon EOS R1’s announcement in the second half of 2021, and we want to mention about two of what could be its most important features. These include a global shutter and a new breed of autofocus called Quad Pixel AF. So what is global shutter?
A global shutter captures the information from all of the sensor’s pixels (or photodiodes) at the same time. This can help eliminate the image distortion associated with rolling shutters (think skewed buildings), which is why a global shutter is used in some high-end video cameras.
Canon EOS R1 release date and price
- Expected to be released in the second half of 2021
- No leaked pricing yet, but expected to have the same price tag with Sony A1 which costs $6,500
As you know there is a big impact on the camera industry when the Sony A1 announced. For imaging professionals, “the one” is the one camera that can do it all. What will be Canon’s answer and will there be a ESO R1 for real so soon. Actually we do expect a EOS R5s which will pixel shift the EOS R5 sensor and provide 90MP stills. Anyway here is a roundup of Canon EOS R1, Canon EOS R5S cameras as well as Canon RF lenses.
Rumored Canon EOS R1 Specifications:
- Newly designed 21MP full-frame global shutter image sensor
- A full-pixel Quad-Pixel CMOS AF autofocus system more powerful than Canon R5 and Canon R6
- The highest record of Canon high-speed continuous shooting speed
- Aimed at professional sports and wildlife photographers
- Could be displayed at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (from July 23 to August 8, 2021)
Canon EOS R5S Rumored Specifications:
- Approximately 90MP full-frame CMOS image sensor
- Improved 5-Axis in-body Image Stabilization
- “Pixel-shift like feature” to add resolution (Perhaps like Fujifilm’s feature in the GFX 100?). Total resolution “north of 300mp”.
- The EVF will be larger and higher resolution than the Canon EOS R5
- Video features are “NOT a focus” of the Canon EOS R5s.
- No 8K video recording capability
- Nearly identical body design as the Canon EOS R5.
- Pricing will be “similar” to the Canon EOS R5.
- Dual card slots: SD (compatible with UHS-II), CFexpress type B
- LP-E6NH battery
- Built-in 5GHz Wi-Fi
- Magnesium alloy body
- Dust-proof and splash-proof
- Announcement scheduled for Q3 of 2021
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Read more Canon Rumors
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.