One of the best lenses Nikon offers for Z series mirrorless cameras; let’s take a look at the Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f / 2.8 VR S lens reviews. This is a a popular zoom among sports, event, and portrait photographers, the NIKKOR Z 70–200mm f/2.8 VR S from Nikon is an impressively versatile telephoto lens.
Pro photographers using the Nikon Z mirrorless system is happy with the Nikkor Z 70–200mm F2.8 VR S lens. While a mirrorless lens, the Z 70-200 2.8 is designed for optical perfection, not small size. It’s actually bigger and heaver than the current AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR.
From CameraLabs Verdict :
The Nikon Z 70-200mm f2.8 VR S may not be much better than its F-mount predecessor, the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f2.8E VR. But that is good news: the F-Nikkor was simply the best 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lens for Nikon cameras and still is an excellent lens. Nikon’s newest telephoto Z-Nikkor zoom improves slightly on some aspects of the F-Nikkor like FX-corner performance, loCA, focus-shift, focus-breathing, close-up performance. And – more substantially – on image stabilization. It may not be smaller and lighter than the old lens and its Bokeh may be a bit more nervous in some situations. But still: if you want the best 70-200mm zoom for your Nikon Z camera body, get the new Z 70-200mm f2.8 VR S: it comes Highly Recommended – if you can get a good copy!
Nikon Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Nikkor Field Test Summary
Below you can find highlights from the results of the detailed review by IR.
What They like most:
- Great build quality
- Useful OLED information panel
- Excellent sharpness overall
- Nice bokeh overall
- Good control of aberrations and fringing
- Impressive autofocus performance
What They dislike:
- Although not heavy, the lens is still pretty large
- Lens doesn’t come with a nice case
- Some issues in the corners
Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Lens Specifications
- Product type: Telephoto zoom lens
- Mount: Nikon Z
- Format: Full-frame (FX)
- Focal length: 70-200mm
- Maximum aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum aperture: f/22
- Construction: 21 elements in 18 groups (including 6 ED lens elements, 2 aspherical elements, 1 fluorite element, 1 SR lens element
- Coatings: Nano Crystal and ARNEO coats, and a fluorine-coated front lens element
- Focusing system: Internal autofocusing
- Minimum focus distance: at 70mm: 0.5m / 1.64 ft, 85mm: 0.63m / 2.07ft, 105mm: 0.68m / 2.23ft, 135mm: 0.8m / 2.62ft, 200mm: 1.0m / 3.28ft from focal plane
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.2x
- Stabilisation: Yes
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9
- Filter size: 77mm
- Weight: 1440g / 3lb 2.8 oz with the tripod collar, 1360g 3lb without the tripod collar
- Diameter x length (extension from lens mount): 89 x 220mm / 3.6 x 8.7inches
Read more Nikon Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!