Ricoh GR III high-end compact digital camera now officially announced. The Ricoh GR III is a premium APS-C format compact camera aimed at enthusiast photographers.
The camera has a 24 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor on board as well as a new wide-angle 18.3mm f/2.8 GR lens, equivalent to 28mm in 35mm terms.
Ricoh GR III Key Specifications
- APS-C sensor
- 24.23 megapixels, no low pass filter
- Magnesium alloy frame
- 14-bit RAW files
- 28mm F2.8 lens with a 9 blade aperture and integrated lens cover
- 6 elements in 4 groups to help reduce the size of the lens barrel
- 3-Axis image stabilisation, 4 stops of compensation
- Dust Removal II system
- Anti-aliasing filter simulator to eliminate moire
- 6cm macro mode
- Fixed 3-inch touchscreen LCD with 1.04-million-dot resolution, outdoor view setting
- ISO 100-102400
- Hybrid AF system that uses phase and contrast detection
- 8 types of AF, including continuous AF and Face AF modes
- 10 image filters
- HDR effect
- In-camera RAW editing
- Interval shooting
- Multi-exposure mode, up to 2000 images
- 35mm and 50mm crop modes (reduced megapixels)
- Built in ND filter
- Customisable ADJ selector and Fn button
- 3 User shooting modes
- Bluetooth and wi-fi connectivity via the Ricoh ImageSync app
- 2Gb built-in memory
- USB Type C port for charging
- DCI 4K video at up to 30p, 6K sampling
- 1080p video at 60fps
- Single SD memory card slot
- USB battery charging
The RICOH GR III features a newly designed lens, image sensor and imaging engine that further upgrade image quality, enhance functionality and improve usability. The 18.3mm F2.8 lens delivers exceptional imaging performance with a slim design, consisting of six optical elements in four groups, while retaining the 28mm angle of view. It produces the clearest, sharpest images in GR-series history while reducing distortion and chromatic aberration. It also comes equipped with a macro shooting capability with a minimum focusing distance of six centimeters.
In keeping with the GR-series concept of packaging high image quality in a compact design, the RICOH GR III camera body is smaller than its predecessor, and is equipped with a large APS-C-size CMOS image sensor with approximately 24.24 effective megapixels to produce high-resolution images. Its short start-up time of approximately 0.8 seconds allows for quick, responsive shooting. The camera’s high-definition LCD monitor features touchscreen operation, offering intuitive control of various camera functions right on the screen.
The camera also features a high-speed hybrid autofocus system, built-in shake reduction, in- camera image finishing options, USB Type-CTM, Bluetooth and wireless LAN connectivity options. An accessory wide-angle conversion lens designed exclusively for use with the RICOH GR III is also available. The GW-4 Wide Conversion Lens expands the angle of view to 21mm ultra-wide angle.
“The Ricoh GR III is the ultimate street camera,” said William Hereford, a Brooklyn-based pro photographer, who has been shooting with GR series cameras for years. “The image quality and ease of use are equally amazing. I literally don’t leave my house without this camera. The GR III fits perfectly both in my hand and my pocket, so it is always available to capture a moment.”
Hereford says that the image quality is so great, that photos taken with his GR cameras have the potential to be used in national ad campaigns and magazine articles.
| Pricing and Availability |
The RICOH GR III will be shipping in March 2019 and will be available at– and retail outlets nationwide. Price is $899.95 for the camera, $249.95 for the GW-4 Wide Conversion Lens.