The GF55mm F1.7R WR is a prime lens (whose focal length matches the diagonal of the sensor), equivalent to a 43mm F1.3 in full-frame terms. The fast prime optic features 14 elements in 10 groups, with two aspherical and two ED elements, which Fujifilm says helps to minimize axial chromatic aberrations and keep spherical aberration under control. It uses a DC motor and GMR (giant magnetoresistance) sensor to precisely monitor the position of the AF group for improved AF precision. It has a minimum focus distance of 0.5m (1.6′), weighs 790g (27.9oz) and is a fraction under 10cm (3.9″) long.
The GF55mm F1.7R WR lens costs $2299 and
- Fujifilm GFX 100 II $7,499 at B&HPhoto / Amazon / Adorama
- Fujinon GF55mm f/1.7 $2,299 at B&HPhoto / Amazon / Adorama
- Fujinon GF110mm f/5.6 Tilt Shift $3,499 at B&H Photo / Amazon / Adorama
- Fujinon GF30mm f/5.6 Tilt Shift $3,999 at B&H Photo / Amazon / Adorama
New FUJINON GF55mmF1.7 R WR Lens is Designed to Inspire GFX System Content Creators of All Types
VALHALLA, N.Y., September 12, 2023 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation announced today the launch of FUJINON GF55mmF1.7 R WR lens (GF55mmF1.7), a large-aperture prime lens offering a standard focal length of 55mm (an equivalent 35mm focal length of 44mm). Designed for a broad range of genres that include travel, street, and documentary, GF55mmF1.7 brings consistent optical quality to image makers, enabling them to deliver a wide range of photos and videos.
GF55mmF1.7 features a high-speed F1.7 aperture, making it a great compliment to Fujifilm’s recently released GF80mmF1.7 R WR lens because of its similar aperture and comparatively wider focal length, with a field of view that is very similar to that of the human eye. This makes it ideal for a wide variety of applications, from intricate images with impeccable detail, to environmental portraits with wonderful balance between a subject and its out-of-focus background.
“GF55mmF1.7 is designed to give image makers a versatile solution that lets them creatively shape images that make the most of our GFX System’s incredible dynamic range and unsurpassed image quality,” said Victor Ha, vice president, FUJIFILM North America Corporation, Electronic Imaging and Optical Device Divisions. “Being able to make images on a GFX System digital camera at F1.7 is incredibly special – bringing an unmatched quality to the images that are created, especially when it comes to the quality of the bokeh in
the image’s out- of-focus areas. It’s truly a lens made for any GFX System user and one we believe should find a permanent place in every photographer’s camera bag.”
Incorporating 14 lens elements in 10 groups, including aspherical and extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, GF55mmF1.7 achieves remarkable, image-resolving performance. The provided 11 diaphragm blades create rounded bokeh, even when the lens is stopped down. The advanced lens blade design effectively controls chromatic and spherical aberrations, providing soft, creamy bokeh and detailed imagery.
Versatile Shooting with Large Aperture
- 55mm normal focal length provides versatility across various genres.
- Large F1.7 maximum aperture allows for creative control over depth-of-field.
Fast and Accurate Autofocus
- Combines a powerful direct current (DC) motor and a GMR sensor to ensure quick, precise and near-silent autofocus (AF).
- Corner-to-corner sharpness is maintained across the image, even at a shallow depth- of-field.
- Weather-Resistant seals are applied in nine places to prevent dust and water from affecting lens operation.
- Operates at temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
- Weighs just 1.72 lbs (780g) and measures just 3.9 inches (99.3mm).
Pricing and Availability
FUJINON GF55mmF1.7 R WR lens is expected to be available in early fall 2023 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $2,299.95 USD and $3,099.99 CDN.
For more information on FUJINON GF55mmF1.7, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en- us/products/lenses/gf55mmf17-r-wr/.
Read more Fujifilm Camera Rumors.
Also join the Fujifilm Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Fujifilm photography.