Sony A7 III full frame mirrorless camera now officially announced. Everything you need to know about the Sony A7 III, including specs, samples, video, release date, price and impressions.
The Sony A7 III comes with a completely new 24.2 megapixel back-illuminated 35mm full-frame sensor, coupled with the very latest BIONZ X processor. The new sensor is claimed to offer 15 stops of dynamic range at low sensitivity settings and offers a top ISO speed of 204800.
This updated Fast Hybrid AF System employs a combination of 693 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection areas for quicker acquirement of focus in a variety of lighting conditions. It also maintains focus on subjects more effectively. In addition to speed and AF, the processing improvements also help to realize greater image clarity and reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200, which can further be expanded to ISO 50-204800. The A7 III offers 10fps burst shooting either the silent electronic shutter or the mechanical one.
Video recording capabilities of the camera have also been extended for enhanced quality when recording UHD 4K video with the full width of the full-frame sensor to minimize moiré and aliasing. Additionally, benefitting both stills and video operation, the a7 III utilizes a 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift image stabilization.
Sony A7 III will be available from April at a cost of $1999, body-only or will be available in a kit with the FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens. Check pre-order links at Amazon | B&H Photo Video | Adorama and Sony a7 III Sample Images.
Sony A7 III Officially Announced
Sony A7 III Key Features
- Newly Developed Full-frame 24.2MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing
- Wide ISO range of 100 – 51200 (expandable to ISO 50 – 204800 for still images) and 15-Stop Dynamic Range at low sensitivities
- World Class AF system featuring 693 phase-detection AF points covering 93% of image area, 425 contrast AF points and fast and reliable Eye AF
- Continuous Shooting at up to 10 fps with either Mechanical Shutter or Silent Shooting and full Auto Focus/Auto Exposure tracking
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization with a 5.0 step shutter speed advantage
- High Resolution 4K Movie Shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning across full-width of full-frame sensor
- The longest rated battery life of any Mirrorless camera at 710 shots per charge
- Upgraded operability and functionality including addition of joystick for adjusting focus points, Dual SD Card Slots, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) USB Type-C™ Terminal and more
Sony A7 III Hands-on First Impression Videos
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".