Nauticam has announced an underwater housing for the high-megapixel count Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R full-frame digital SLR cameras.
The NA-5DSR, underwater housing solution for Canon EOS 5Ds and EOS 5Ds R DSLR camera is rated for 100mt (330 feet) depth and weighes 2.80kg.
The NA-5DSR is a rugged housing, includes the Nauticam vacuum check electronics, and, like other new Nauticam DSLR housings, even includes a simple button to easily reset the vacuum electronics when only doing a lens change.
Canon EOS 5Ds and EOS 5Ds R Underwater Housing
The Nauticam Housing for the Highest Resolution SLR to Date
Nauticam is pleased to introduce the latest in it’s acclaimed line of underwater camera housings, the NA-5DSR. This housing incorporates the latest innovations from the renowned Nauticam design team, and pairs it with the extraordinary Canon EOS 5DS and Canon EOS 5DS R cameras. An astonishing 50 megapixels underwater will bring back images that were simply impossible previously.
Clearly a camera of this magnitude deserves the very best housing to take it underwater. Existing NA-5DMKIII housing owners – stop reading here, because that housing will work flawlessly with the 5DS. But Nauticam is unable rest on laurels, and so simply had to produce the NA-5DSR, refining the NA-5DMKIII housing just that much more. The Nauticam NA-5DMKIII has been incredibly popular and well liked among it’s users. Many of the controls for the NA-5DSR are based on the NA-MKIII, taking advantage of how solid that housing is. Still, the Nauticam designers were able to make improvements. Small changes, to be sure, but each incredibly well thought out – designed by underwater photographers, for underwater photographers.
As an example of a minor but important change, the right side of the housing has been made less “crowded” by moving the video/still switch to the top of the housing, and combining the ISO and DOF preview buttons in a tactile rocker that makes accessing both controls exceptionally easy. Perhaps the biggest change is the addition of the patent pending multi-controller. This moves the joystick control closer to the right hand, making it easier to get to. The piano keys for Set and Q were beautifully sculpted to make room for it, yielding a user interface that is both beautiful and functional.
The new housing includes the Nauticam vacuum check electronics, and, like other new Nauticam DSLR housings, even includes a simple button to easily reset the vacuum electronics when only doing a lens change. It’s one of those features that make one think that these designers have thought of everything.
Taking a cue from Canon about stability and the reinforced tripod socket, the NA-5DSR features the new style cam locking tray system. This assures alignment and improves stability in the housing. The housing also features a standard 1/4” 20 tripod socket plus two extra sockets for reinforcement should the shooter want to use a tripod for stability underwater.
Simple buttons like Menu, Picture Style, Rate, Magnify, and Trash have been given an angled treatment, making it easier to reach these buttons with the left hand. The shutter is the new paddle style – exceptionally easy to use even when wearing thick gloves, yet retain amazing tactile feel for use of the half-press of the 5DS shutter. The NA-5DSR includes strobe mounting balls and lightweight laser cut stability brackets.
Since the 5DS, 5DS R and 5D Mark III share the same basic camera body, this housing can be used interchangeably with all three cameras. This provides incredible flexibility… shoot for high resolution with the 5DS R on one dive, then switch to the 5D Mark III for it’s superb low light capability.
Finally, the NA-5DS is quite a bit lighter than the original NA-5DMKIII… so much so that the amount of added buoyancy needed for most applications is reduced or eliminated. The result is a housing that is a dream to handle underwater.
Nauticam Underwater Housing for Canon EOS 5Ds and EOS 5Ds R
- Unsurpassed build quality, designed by award winning engineering team
- Produced utilizing the most modern manufacturing technology available
- Ergonomically placed controls with size, shape, and color differentiation
- Access to all key camera controls
- All controls clearly labeled
- Patented two stage shutter release, precise feel over half/full press
- Patented Port Locking System
- Patent pending Multi Controller pad
- Lens release button
- Easy to operate locking housing latches
- Rubberized ergonomic grips
- Quick release camera mounting plate
- Optical strobe connectors for fiber optic flash triggering
- 2x M16 accessory holes for HDMI, hydrophone, or vacuum valve
- Single M14 accessory hole for electrical sync cable bulkhead
- Integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection circuit (valve optional)
- Vacuum reset button in port mount for quick lens changes
- Dual 1″ (25mm) strobe mounting balls included as standard equipment
- 1/4-20 tripod mounting holes
- Dual 10mm threaded accessory mounting points
- .66x optical glass pickup finder
- Magnifying 180 and 45 viewfinders available optionally
- 100m Depth Rating
- Dimensions: 358mm (W) x 187mm (H) x 135mm (D)
- Weight: 2.80kg , 2.65kg without ball mounts and handle brackets
- Price: $3,600
- Availability: August 25, 2015
50MP Canon EOS 5Ds and 5DS R DSLR cameras features dual DIGIC 6 processors, a 61-point AF system with 41 cross-type points and a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor with 252 zones. The EOS 5DS and 5DS R are capable of 1080/30p HD video recording and offer dual SD/CF card slots.
50MP Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R Price
|50MP Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R|
|Canon EOS 5DS Body Only||$3,699.00||Amazon | Adorama
|Canon EOS 5DS R Body Only||$3,899.00||Amazon | Adorama
|EF 11-24mm f/4L USM lens||$2,999.00||Amazon | Adorama|