Canon has announced the EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM wide-angle prime lens designed for Canon DSLRs with 35mm full-frame image sensors.
The Canon EF 35mm F/1.4L II USM is the second generation of the popular prime and the new model is the world’s first lens to boast the company’s exclusive Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics technology, which utilises organic material newly developed by Canon to achieve a higher level of chromatic aberration correction than other existing technologies.
The Canon EF 35mm F/1.4L II USM lens features a total of 14 elements, two of which are aspherical and the other being ‘Super UD’. It offers 9 aperture blades and a minimum focusing distance of 0.28m/11in.
EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens Announced, Price $1,799
Canon EF 35mm F/1.4L II USM Lens Price and Release Date
The Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM will be available in October for $1,799.
|Buy Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens|
|Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens||$1,799.00||Amazon | Adorama
Canon EF 35mm F/1.4L II USM Lens MFT Chart and Construction
Canon EF 35mm F/1.4L II USM Lens Specs & Features
- Aperture Range: f/1.4-22
- Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics
- Two Aspherical Elements, One UD Element
- Subwavelength and Fluorine Coatings
- Ultrasonic Autofocus Motor
- Full-Time Manual Focus Override
- Weather-Sealed Design
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
- Prime wide-angle lens is designed for full-frame Canon EOS DSLRs, and can also be used with APS-C-sized sensors where it will provide a 56mm equivalent focal length.
- The Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics element refracts shorter wavelengths of the visible spectrum (blue light) in order to significantly reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing.
- A pair of aspherical elements and one UD element also help to control aberrations and distortions for sharper, clearer image quality.
- Subwavelength Coating minimizes surface reflections, ghosting, and flare for increased contrast and color fidelity.
- The Ultrasonic Motor offers fast and quiet autofocus performance and also permits full-time manual focus control by simply rotating the focusing ring.
- A minimum focus distance of 11″ with a 0.21x maximum magnification benefits working with close-up subjects.
- Fluorine coatings on the front and rear surfaces help reduce fingerprints and smudging.
- Featuring the L-series designation, this lens is also dust and moisture-resistant for use in trying conditions.
- A nine-blade aperture provides smooth and pleasing out-of-focus areas in selective focus images.
Canon U.S.A. Introduces New Canon EF 35mm F/1.4L II USM Lens
New L-Series Lens is First to Feature Canon’s Proprietary Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics – That Achieves a Higher Level of Chromatic Aberration Correction For Superb Image Quality
MELVILLE, N.Y.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Canon U.S.A., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced the new EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM lens for EOS system cameras – a wide-angle fixed-focal-length Canon EF lens that is the world’s first* to utilize the Company’s newly-developed and exclusive Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics (BR Optics). This new optical technology utilizes organic material newly developed by Canon to achieve a higher level of chromatic aberration correction than other existing technologies resulting in outstanding high-quality imaging performance.
“As the world leader in production of interchangeable lenses, having produced over 110 million EF lenses since 1987, it is with great excitement that we now introduce a revolutionary new technology to add to Canon’s unequaled optical heritage when it comes to chromatic aberration correction,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO of Canon U.S.A., Inc. “We continually strive to achieve the ideal lens performance, which has driven the development of Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics, found in the new EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM lens. This technology is yet another ‘first’ in optical design introduced by Canon to enhance the performance of our lenses for our customers.”
Canon’s proprietary Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics (BR Optics) incorporate a new organic optical material with unique anomalous dispersion characteristics for use in camera lenses. The molecular design of BR Optics refracts blue light (short wavelength spectrum) to a greater degree than other existing optical technologies including UD glass, Super UD glass and Fluorite, to control color fringing as effectively as possible. When placed between convex and concave lens elements made from conventional optical glass materials, BR Optics help to produce sharp images with outstanding contrast and color fidelity by thoroughly reducing axial chromatic aberration.
In addition to BR Optics, the new lens incorporates two aspherical elements and one UD glass element in a 14 element, 11 group optical formula. The EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM lens also features Canon’s proprietary Sub-Wavelength Structure Coating (SWC), applied to the rear surface of the first and second aspheric lens elements to help combat flare and ghosting caused by light rays entering the lens at a large angle of incidence. The lens also offers best in class minimum focusing distance at 0.28m (approximately 11 inches) resulting in an increased maximum magnification of 0.21x – ideal for capturing close-up subjects. Autofocusing is swift and virtually silent due to a rear-focus optical system and Canon’s original Ring USM focusing motor. Full-time mechanical manual focusing is also available even when the lens is set to AF mode.
The Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM lens features improved durability over its predecessor. As with all L-series lenses, this new lens is highly resistant to dust and water ─ making it ideal for outdoor photography, even in harsh conditions. The high-grade design of the lens provides users with a substantial and luxurious feel, as well as optimal operability. In addition, a fluorine coating on the front and rear lens surfaces helps to repel liquids and dust particles, and makes the lens easier to clean.
Pricing and Availability
The new Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM lens is compatible with 72mm filters and will be supplied with Lens Hood EW-77B and Lens Pouch LP1219. It is scheduled to be available in October 2015, for an estimated retail price of $1,799.00. For more information including specifications and an MTF chart, please visit http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/lenses/ef_lens_lineup/lens_wide_pro.