Lens owners will receive a free firmware update to fix the problem, though the company has not provided a timeframe for when the update is expected. Both current and discontinued lens models are affected by this issue.
According to Sigma, if the Live View Mode button on the camera is pressed when using one of the affected lenses, the operation will stop and no image will appear on the camera’s display.
Sigma Product Advisory for Canon mount lens users
We have found that Live View Mode cannot be used on the EOS 8000D (Rebel T6s / 760D) and EOS Kiss X8i (Rebel T6i / 750D) released on April 17th 2015 by Canon Inc. with some of SIGMA’s Canon mount interchangeable lenses. For those who own the lenses, we are going to provide a firmware update free of charge.
When the Live View Mode button on the camera body is pressed, the operation stops without displaying images on the rear LCD monitor.
Products and Serial Numbers that require the firmware update
- 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM – No. 12651501 or later
- 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM – No. 13044001 or later
- APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM – No. 12713001 or later
- APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM – No. 12902001 or later
- 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports – No. 50064494~ 50347793
- APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM – No. 12669751 or later
- 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM – No. 12665001 or later
- 18-200mm F3.5-6.3?DC OS HSM – No. 12851001 or later
- 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM – No. 12656101 or later
- APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM – No. 12839001 or later
- APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM – No. 12676440 or later
- APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM – No. 12971601 or later
Sigma says the issue may also affect users of lenses outside these serial number ranges if their lens has been serviced at any time. These lenses will also need their firmware updated.
The newer 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports can be updated to the latest firmware by using the Sigma USB Dock. However, those who use the lens with either the APO Tele Converter 1.4x EX DG or APO Tele Converter 2x EX DG will need to send their equipment to a Sigma distributor for the update.