Atomos has released firmware update 10.68 for the Ninja V+ enabling support for 8K ProRes RAW from the Canon EOS R5 full-frame camera.
This new Atomos Ninja V & Ninja V+ AtomOS 10.71 update adds ProRes RAW format recording options for the legacy Sony FS series, as well as the Canon EOS R5 and the Panasonic LUMIX BS1H.
The AtomOS update also includes brand new features for the AtomX CAST and compatibility with the NINJA V+. Apple ProRes RAW 8K provides an unparalleled combination of real-time, multi-stream editing performance, and impressive image quality preservation.
AtomOS 10.68 Firmware Update Details:
- Canon EOS R5 ProRes RAW Support
- 8K (8224 x 4336) at 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p
- 5K (5088 x 2680) at 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- WB and ISO Controls for FCP Settings slider adjustments
Skippy Warning Dialog
- If you encounter the “Skippy” warning message during recording, you can now press the icon on the right side of the screen to get a hint on why the recording might have been interrupted.
- If “Skippy” warnings occur within a 60 second period, the Ninja V+ will stop trying to restart the recording and require you to check the message in the dialogue box.
NOTE: The Canon EOS R5 requires latest firmware update 1.4.0 to enable RAW Output via HDMI. You can download it from the firmware update section via on your regional Canon website. For North America head over here.
How to Setup the Canon EOS R5 for 8K RAW:
- Set “HDMI RAW output” to On. (Shoot Menu, Tab 8)
- Choose your desired 8K frame rate by selecting it under “Movie rec quality”, and then
“Movie rec. size”. (Shoot Menu, Tab 1)
- For 5K recording, enable “Movie cropping” and choose your desired 5K frame rate under “Movie rec. size”. (Red Camera Menu, Tab 1)
- Go to Time code, HDMI, and set both Time code and Rec Command to On.
(Shoot Menu, Tab 8)
- Extended recording time settings:
- Enable the Canon R5’s “Standby: Low res.” option to avoid premature camera overheating & recording timeout. (Shoot Menu, Tab 8)
- With the “Standby: Low res” mode enabled, the R5 will display a message that “HDMI output in standby may differ from the recording quality settings.” This message only applies to the standard video output modes and does not apply to the RAW output.
- Disable the camera’s “Auto power off” option in the Power saving menu.
Setup the Atomos Ninja V+ for 8K ProRes RAW capture:
- Set Ninja V+’s record format to ProRes RAW or ProRes RAW HQ.
- Switch the HDMI Standard to “Compatibility mode” in the Input Menu.
- Still in the Input Menu, set the Trigger Type to HDMI and On.
IMPORTANT: In order to record RAW from the EOS R5 you first need to activate 8K ProRes RAW through the my.atomos.com portal.
- If you have previously activated ProRes RAW, you do NOT need to activate it again.
- To activate codecs on your devices please visit http://my.atomos.com
- Log-in if you are an existing user or create a new account to access the my.atomos.com portal.
- Within your account you can add your product or access a previously registered Atomos product.
- When accessing your registered products, you’ll then be presented with options to unlock additional features.
Check out the Atomos’ website to download the update and read the full release notes.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.