Lensrentals just published their teardown of the new Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens. In this tear down they wanted to see if the new modern design of Nikon’s Z-mount lenses is being carried over to newer F-mount lenses as well. Check out the details below.
The new Nikon AF-S 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is a flagship telephoto zoom lens, designed for sports photographers who need extra versatility offered by a telephoto zoom lens, as well as a bright f/2.8 aperture.
Here is their conclusion:
“First, like every law, Roger’s Law that Zooms Are Never as Good as Primes has at least one very expensive exception. At one of its focal lengths. This zoom is ‘prime good’ at 300mm.
Second, we learned that the Nikkor AF-S 120-300mm f/2.8 lens is spectacularly good optically, particularly at the long end, which is probably the most important place to be spectacularly good optically.
Third, we learned that Nikon F lenses, at least at this point in time, are not incorporating the new electrical and mechanical designs of the Z lenses. This probably matters to Nikon F shooters not at all since this is the same technology their other lenses use. It matters a bit to us, who will work on them. At no time during this teardown were the words “Elegant Engineering” ever spoken.”
Check out the full article at LensRental.
AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR
- Professional F-mount telephoto zoom lens. Covers the versatile 120-300 mm focal length range with a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture.
- Smooth, precise AF. Performance equivalent to a prime lens keeps pace with fast-moving or erratic subjects. An electromagnetic diaphragm ensures precise exposures at high frame rates.
- Advanced optical design. 25 elements in 19 groups, with Nikon’s ED glass and SR glass as well as ARNEO and Nano Crystal coatings. Chromatic aberration, coma, ghosting, and flare are thoroughly countered.
- Rock-steady VR. Nikon’s Vibration Reduction (VR) gives you a four-stop advantage, even with a teleconverter activated.
- Renowned Nikon ergonomics. Assignable function buttons, smooth switching between horizontal and vertical orientations, and more.
- Integrated tripod foot. Faces the front of the lens for optimum balance and more comfortable transportation.
- Tough build. Solid construction and extensive sealing readies this lens for trackside conditions in any weather.
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.