It is now confirmed that Canon EOS R5 full frame camera is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless system. David Parry, Canon’s Product Marketing Specialist, in an interview with Techradar about the Canon EOS R5.
While Canon has made the EOS R5 official in February and letting us know it’s in development, it hasn’t revealed all the specs. Now more details confirmed by the company as the upcoming EOS R5 will be able to record 8K video at 30p with no crop. Check out the combined EOS R5 specs so far.
The new Canon EOS R5 camera already listed at Adorama and B&HPhoto. Here are some excerpts from the interview.
So is that why this camera is called the EOS R5?
“It’s aimed at that level of the market. This isn’t a replacement for the 5D Mark IV or anything like that. But this is a mirrorless 5-series, it’s aimed at that segment of the market” […]
The EOS R5 has impressive video credentials. How does it handle heat issues when shooting 8K video?
“We’ve been doing this for a while now and we’ve learnt a lot of techniques to dissipate heat on other products that we have in our lineup. For example, being able to move components around, and being able to have them further away from each other” […]
The EOS R5 has Animal Eye AF. Does this work in both video and stills?
“We can’t divulge that at the moment, but what’s really exciting about that for us is that it’s dogs, cats and birds – as far as I’m aware no other manufacturer has mentioned birds in their Animal AF“
Combined Canon EOS R5 Specifications
- 45mp full frame CMOS sensor
- IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) 5 stops with IBIS alone
- 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization
- 8K video with 29.97fps (30fps)
- No-Crop on 8K video
- Dual Pixel AF available in 8K
- Internal recording
- Animal detection autofocus – tracks animal subjects (dogs, cats, birds, etc.) by detecting the body, face, or eye of the subject.
- 12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
- Scroll wheel added to the back
- No touch bar
- Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs
- Larger capacity battery, but looks like the LP-E6
- Built-in 5GHz WiFi
- New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
- Shipping in July 2020
So will there ever be a EOS 5D Mark V DSLR? Check out the details from the Canon Cameras 2020 post below.
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Read more Canon Camera Rumors.