Phase One now officially announced the XT medium format system, which the company is marketing as a ‘travel-friendly’ solution for landscape photographers. The US price for XT IQ4 150MP Camera System, including a lens of your choice, is $56,990.
The Phase One XT uses the same 150-megapixel sensor from and other technology from the company’s XF IQ4 system, launched last year and includes the Phase One IQ4 150MP, IQ4 150MP Achromatic and IQ4 100MP Trichromatic cameras.
The available Rodenstock lenses are a HR Digaron-S 23mm F5.6, HR Digaron-W 32mm F4 and HR Digiron-W 70mm F5.6. All three lenses use an electromagnetic ‘X-Shutter’, which offers shutter speed ranging from 60 to 1/1000 sec and carbon fiber shutter blades. The shutter is capable of 500,000 actuations, according to Phase One.
Press text can be found here.
Phase One XT FAQs
Phase One has published a short list of FAQs about the new XT camera system, explaining its price, competitors and more.
What distinguishes the Phase One XT Camera System?
• Unmatched quality
• Best of everything — Combines the best sensor, with the best processing
platform, with best optics to make a simpler, dedicated, portable and
• Longevity – a serious, intelligent system, built to last a decade, during which free upgrades will provide continually better, more powerful performance.
• Back to Basics photography – designed to deliver the highest quality prints
• The X-Shutter – is exlusive to Phase One and no equal is available in the
Who is this camera built for?
• For those that demand the best image quality above all else.
• Built for professional landscape photographers, but designed for
enthusiasts. For those less interested in technology and focused on the
experience of capturing a moment and a place in time and making prints
• For those who wish to capture travel images in exotic locales, this is the
most portable solution that offers both high-end imaging and complete system integration.
How much training is required to operate?
What’s it like to use?
• The XT Camera System is built in objection to the steep learning curve of a
technical camera. The emphasis is on the craft of being creative and not on
being a camera technician.
• Manual focus gives greatest control and precision — yet its operation is
• During composition, the camera movements are simple to use; dials are
prominent and straight forward, the image in Live View (visible on the IQ4
screen) will show the results of a composition and focus in real-time.
• This camera allows one to take time to compose. This is a intuative camera
that allows the photographer to focus on capturing the right light and
• As you adjust the position of the IQ4 via the X & Y shift dials, the IQ4
screen will communicate show that position and encode that data into the
• If necessary, you can sync a flash to the IQ4’s PC port.
• You can capture tethered to any computer via USB, Ethernet, or WiFi
• No proprietary battery – batteries are easy to find.
• No filters are needed
What/who is this camera competing with?
• There is no comparable competitive product on the market.
• Systems that offer the same optics as the XT lack any integration and
control; they also require significant education and experience to use.
• There may be systems called “technical cameras” which are smaller than the
XT. However they offer neither the advantages of movements nor integration of components, and most importantly they are not available with the X-Shutter.
How much does it cost?
• System cost: $56,990
• Lenses: $8,990 – $11,990
Warranty, etc.: 5 Year Warranty on all components (including unlimited shutter actuations during this period)
Why is it so expensive?
• Built to a standard, not a price point – there is no better image quality
• It’s an investment – built to last
Where can I buy the camera?
Phase One Partners http://www.phaseone.com/partners
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".