Sony officially announced the extremely versatile and powerful Sony a7R IV mirrorless camera with 61MP back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS image sensor with latest-generation BIONZ X image processor.
The camera offers a 15 stops of dynamic range. It has a hybrid AF system with 567 PDAF and 425 contrast-detect point, and 74% frame coverage. There’s also real-time eye, human and animal AF. The camera can shoot at 10 fps with continuous AF for up to 68 photos. The Pixel Shift mode can captures 960 Megapixels worth of data by compositing 16 images, which can be processed via Sony’s Imaging Edge software to create 240MP photos.
Sony a7R IV uses the NP-FZ100 battery, which can take approximately 670 shots using the LCD and 530 using the EVF, based on CIPA standard testing. A battery grip, which holds two FZ100s, is priced at $400. also a 5.76M-dot EVF, dual UHS-II card slots and USB-C. The camera also has 802.11ac Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth and NFC.
Sony a7R IV can capture oversampled 4K/30p video with touch tracking and real-time Eye AF, and support for 8-bit S-Log2/3 and HLG. When using the Super 35 crop there is an additional 1.2x crop at 30p and 1.1x at 24p. As with its predecessor, the top bit rate is 100Mbps using XAVC S.
Sony a7R IV Specifications:
- 61 MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- 240 MP Pixel Shift
- 10 fps shooting speed with AF and tracking
- 68 images buffer burst
- 15-Stop dynamic range
- 5 axis IBIS
- 567 phase detection AF, 74% coverage. 325 phase detection AF in APS-C crop mode, almost 100% coverage.
- Real time Eye AF for Still / Movie / Human / Animal
- Real-time tracking
- 5.76 million dot UXGA OLED viewfinder
- Upgraded connectivity and operability
- 4K Movie recording, S-Log2/3, HDR
- Upgraded dust and moisture resistance
- Wireless tethering
- New vertical grip
- Available: September 2019
- Price: $3,500 USD / $4,500 CA
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".