The first Sony curved sensor sample image surfaced over the web. The Japanese website Nikkei published additional information on the long rumored curved sensor from Sony.
The sample image below is a proof that Sony has developed and implemented curved sensor inside the upcoming fixed lens prototype camera.
As we previously mentioned before, Sony’s Full Frame curved sensor is likely to come on the new RX2 paired with a 35mm f/1.8 Zeiss lens.
Curved sensors are 1,4 times more sensitive in the center and 2 times more sensitive in the corners. See the previous rumors for the Sony Full Frame Curved Sensor Tech
First image Taken With The Sony Curved Image Sensor
Here are some interesting points about the new Sony curved sensor posted by Nikkei :
- the new design achieves no (or minimal) vignetting and aberration in the corners
- the new curve sensors will have less resolution (MP) that the current full frame sensors
- Sony has the ability to mass produce the new curved sensor
- the new sensor will offer less noise at high ISO
- it will be very difficult to produce zoom lenses designed for a curved sensor
Sony RX2 expected to be the first camera to be announced this summer with a fixed 35mm f/1.8 lens and a curved full frame image sensor which increases the lens performance.