Fujifilm has announced its new flagship superzoom camera the 16 megapixel FinePix HS50EXR. The HS50 features a equivalent of 42x 24-1000mm optical zoom lens and a new EXR CMOS II sensor. A 3-inch articulated rear LCD complements the camera’s built-in 920k dot electronic viewfinder.
FinePix HS50EXR camera listed on Fujifilm UK website. Here are the key features of the new camera.
FUJIFILM is proud to announce a new addition to its popular top-end series of FinePix Long zoom bridge cameras. The new flagship FinePix HS50EXR features a manual zoom mechanism for high precision zooming over the huge 42x focal length range (24-1000mm*2). Boasting stunning autofocus speeds of just 0.05seconds*1 thanks to new Phase Detection pixels on its ½-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, this all-in-one camera is a high-speed performer and will capture images with stunning crisp quality.
1. Manual 42x optical zoom lens (24mm-1000mm*2)
This newly developed 42x FUJINON zoom lens offers the precision of a manual barrel zoom and the stunning optical performance for which FUJINON lenses are world renowned. From 1cm Super Macro photography, 24mm wide-angle through to 1000mm telephoto*2, this lens offers focal lengths which would require several different lenses on a DSLR. To ensure premium image quality, the HS50EXR’s lens uses aspherical, ED and cemented elements and achieves blur reduction with optical Image Stabilisation, over the entire aperture range of f/2.8 to f/5.6. The lens features 17 elements in total, 15 of which have FUJINON’s Super EBC coating on both sides, for reducing ghosting and flare in backlit and other challenging situations.
2. New EXR CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection for high performance
The HS50EXR boasts the latest FUJIFILM EXR sensor technology: a 16 megapixel ½-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, coupled with the EXR Processor II, which achieves twice the processing speed of the previous EXR processor.
The biggest difference over the previous HS30EXR is the inclusion of Phase Detection pixels on the sensor to achieve an incredibly fast autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds in fastest conditions, less than a third of the 0.16 seconds AF speed of the HS30EXR. The Intelligent Hybrid AF system can choose between Phase Detection AF or switch to Contrast AF in low light to ensure the optimal focus system is used – dependent on the shooting conditions.
A Focus Peak Highlight feature helps photographers manually focus by highlighting the area of your composition in focus. It provides a guide for focusing in situations where it’s difficult to tell whether the subject is correctly focused; allowing users to manually focus whilst viewing on the LCD monitor.
The new EXR CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II make the HS50EXR a truly powerful camera when it comes to capturing moving objects. In addition to the 0.05 seconds AF speed*1, it also achieves a start-up time of 0.5 seconds. *3, interval time between shots of just 0.5 seconds. And if you engage the Continuous Shooting mode it can shoot in burst of 11fps at the full 16 megapixel resolution (max 5 frames) and seamless 6fps shooting at 8 megapixel resolution. Combined, these technologies mean that you will never miss that crucial shot, no matter how fast your subject is moving.
If you select EXR Auto, the HS50EXR uses FUJIFILM’s widely acclaimed auto mode to select from the three in-built sensor modes (HR, SN or DR) and determine the scene-type you are shooting, from the 108 permutations recognised, ensuring that the optimum settings are employed.
3. Hassle free, any-angle shooting made easy
The HS50EXR boasts two key features which help you shoot your favourite types of scene. Its 920K dot, highly detailed Electronic Viewfinder is perfect for helping you frame your composition in bright sunlight, or if you wear glasses. And if you are trying to take tricky, close to the ground, macro flower shots or want to capture the band on the main stage above the heads of the crowd, you can switch to the very useful 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen. Again boasting a detailed 920K dots, the LCD screen can fold out and flip around so you can see what you are taking – no matter what the angle you’re trying to shoot at.
The styling of the HS50EXR is well thought through. Dials are placed on a sloping, rounded shoulder for easy access during shooting in a design that is both attractive and functional.
4. Artistic shooting effects
This exciting new camera features FUJIFILM’s proprietary Film Simulation modes. Users can choose from ten different modes which simulate the effects of traditional FUJIFILM films. Including colour reversal film effects (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA).
Also available on the HS50EXR are the Advanced Filter functions; users can choose from 8 different artistic filters which can be previewed on the LCD screen:
- Pop Colour – emphasises contrast and colour saturation
- Toy Camera – creates shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera
- Miniature – adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect
- Dynamic Tone – creates a fantasy effect by dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction
- Partial Colour – retains one selected original colour and change the rest of the photo to black and white. Colours can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for dramatic effect.
- High Key – enhances brightness and reduces contrast to lighten tonal reproduction
- Low Key (NEW) – creates uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasised highlights
- Soft Focus (NEW) – blurring the focus of the image edges to create a softer effect
- Multiple Exposure – this function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo, ideal for creative photos with artistic effects.
5. Full HD Movie 1080p/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
The HS50EXR is now the ideal camera for the budding cinematographer thanks to the built in stereo microphone. Thanks to the ½-inch EXR CMOS II sensor, the HS50EXR is capable of Full 1080p HD movie recording at up to 60 fps. Plus if you want to be more a little more creative you can record lower resolution movies at up to 480 frames per second*4 – and capture some amazing slow motion action. The Phase Detection pixel technology and scene recognition modes aren’t limited to still photos; they also come into play when recording video to ensure that your masterpiece stays focused.
Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR Camera Specifications
- FUJINON 42x optical manual zoom (f/2.8-5.6 24-1000mm*2)
- Optical Image Stabilisation
- Up to 84x with Intelligent Digital Zoom
- 16 megapixel ½-inch EXR-CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection AF
- EXR Processor II
- Intelligent Hybrid AF : 0.05sec, world’s fastest *1
- Continuous shooting: 11fps at full resolution (Max 5 frames), 5.5fps at 8M for seamless capture
- Start-up time of 0.5 sec.*3
- Shooting interval of 0.5sec.
- 108 EXR Auto shooting patterns
- Full HD movie 1080p/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
- 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen(920K-dot)
- High resolution EVF(920K-dot) with eye sensor
- Q button for direct control of settings
- Super Macro down to 1cm
- Manual exposure control(P/S/A/M modes)
- Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
- RAW shooting (RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG image capture modes)
- 8 Advanced Filters
- 10 Film simulation modes
- Multiple exposure
- Image capture aspect ratio of 1:1 (square) in addition to 4:3, 16:9, and 3:2
- Virtual horizon “electronic level” display
- External microphone input (microphones sold separately)
- Hot-shoe attachment for the use of external flash guns
- Lithium-ion battery with up to 500 shots per charge
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".