Sony has announced the new PXW-FS7 II XDCAM Super 35 4K camcorder which adds the Electronic Variable ND and Rec.2020 color space from the Sony FS5.
The new camcorder is designed for long-form shooting and production applications, especially documentaries and independent filmmaking. It also supports Sony’s A-mount System, which includes more than 70 lenses.
The PXW-FS7 II is expected to begin shipping in January 2017 for a price of $10,000 (body only) and $13,000 for the camcorder with 18-110mm power zoom lens kit.
SONY announces PXW-FS7 II camcorder with electronic variable ND
Sony PXW-FS7 II New Features
- Electronic Variable ND
- Locking type E-mount
- In-camera Rec.2020 Color Space for future 4K/UHD broadcast and HDR compliance
- 2nd knob on Extension hand grip for tool-less adjustment
- New “square” rod mount systems for VF/LCD
- New Sun hood for VF/LCD
- Newly added VF/LCD Loupe with a hinge on bottom and lock on top
- 10 assignable buttons total – 4 new buttons placed on operator side
- XQD cards stick out more when placed in card slots for easier removal
- LED on top of On/Off Power Switch
- Audio Pot door now flips downwards
Sony also announced new 256GB capacity XQD cards for the PXW-FS7 II. The newest 256GB XQD cards from Sony are part of the Sony G series XQD cards.
The new kit lens for the FS7 II is the Sony E PZ 18-110mm f/4 G OSS lens which was announced in September. The lens covers Super 35mm and APS-C sensors and is compact and lightweight at just 2.4 lbs (1.1Kg). It uses a new fully mechanical/servo zoom switchable system, capable of snap zooms and entirely devoid of lag. The focal range is optimised for Super 35 and APS-C sensors as opposed to the previous kit lens for the FS7 – the 28-135mm f4, which is a full-frame lens and not particularly wide at all when used with a Super 35 sensor.
For more information, please visit www.sony.com/fs7ii.
New Sony FS7 II: A Conversation with Sony Product Manager Juan Martinez