New reports indicate that the Nikon Z9 sensor (IMX609AQJ) is made by Sony. Techinsights published the details that the Z9 camera image sensor (IMX609AQJ) is made by Sony Semiconductor (a different company from Sony).
This is not really a surprise as almost all Nikon sensors were made by Sony in the past. Take a look at the Nikon D850 sensor and Z7 sensor for example. The Nikon Z9 was the top-selling professional flagship full-frame mirrorless camera in the first quarter of 2022 with a 57% market share.
The score of 98 points puts the Nikon Z9 camera to the 7th place in full-frame and MF sensors. This score of the sensor performance is close to that of Sony A1 (98 points) and Sony a7R IV (99 points).
From Techinsights report :
“This report presents a device essentials folder (DEF) of the Sony IMX609AQJ full frame 45.7 MP stacked back-illuminated CMOS image sensor from the Nikon Z9 mirrorless camera.”
Nikon Z9 Key specifications
- 45.7 MP full-frame stacked CMOS sensor
- Native ISO 64-25,600, with expansion to ISO 32-102,400
- 20 fps (RAW), up to 30 fps (JPEG)
- 493-point phase-detection AF system
- 3.69 m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF)
- 3.2-in 2.1 m-dot quad-tilt TFT-LCD
- 8K/60p, 12-bit N-RAW, 4K (oversampled)
- Sensor shift, up to 6 stops compensation
- Twin card slots (CFexpress Type B)
- Ethernet (1000BASE-T), WiFi (2.4/5GHz) Bluetooth LE connection, USB-C (3.2), HDMI (Type A) connectivity
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!