In addition to the EOS C300 Mark III, Canon shared additional specifications of the upcoming Canon EOS R5. The full frame mirrorless camera is currently in development but with the newly released information we now know more details on the 8K video recording capability, IBIS and more.
We already know that Canon EOS R5 will be the 5D series Equivalent for Mirrorless. The new EOS R5 will be able to record 8K video at 30p with no crop and full-width 4K at up to 120p with 10-bit 4:2:2 recording and full AF in all modes.
The 8K footage comes from the whole width of the sensor, as does its DCI 4K output, which could imply the use of the wider-screen 8192 x 4320 pixel version of 8K (a 1.90:1 ratio ration than 16:9). 4K specs extend up to internal 120p capture and can be recorded internally or output over HDMI. The camera will have dual card slots: one for CFexpress cards and one UHS-II SD slot.
The new Canon EOS R5 camera already listed at Adorama and B&HPhoto.
Confirmed Canon EOS R5 Specs from the Announcement
- 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
- 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
- 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
- No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
- Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
- A Canon first, the EOS R5 will feature 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization, which works in conjunction with Optical IS equipped with many of the RF and EF lenses.
- Dual-card slots: 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II.
*When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes.
To learn more about the Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and the additional information announced, please visit, usa.canon.com/EOSR5
Below are the previous specs of Canon EOS R5: (rumored specifications in bold)
- 45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
- 5 stops with IBIS alone
- 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization
- 12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
- Dual card slots
- Scroll wheel added to the back
- Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs
- Larger capacity battery, but looks like the LP-E6
- 8K @ 30fps
- 4K @ 120fps
- 4K @ 60fps
- Built-in 5GHz WiFi
- New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
- Shipping in July 2020
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Read more Canon Camera Rumors
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.