Nikon has released a major firmware update version 3.00 for the Nikon Z9 mirrorless camera. It supports high-frequency flicker, divides the viewfinder priority mode into two systems, and has a high-resolution zoom function for movies. Anyway, it is an update with many updates.
The Nikon Z9 is one of the most powerful cameras on the market, capable of up to 30 fps shooting in JPEG or 20 with Raw capture, and able to record 8K/30 video, with the promise of 12-bit Raw 8K/60 capture in a future firmware update. It’s also one of relatively few cameras on the market to completely forego a mechanical shutter, a design decision made possible by the impressively fast read-out speed of the new sensor.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 2.11 to 3.00
Note: The changes listed below under “Still Photography”, “Video Recording”, “Displays”, “Playback”, “Controls”, and “Network” are detailed in the Supplementary Firmware Update Manual.
■ Still Photography
- • The [Image size] item in the photo shooting menu is now [Image size settings] and offers new options that apply only to pictures taken using the DX image area.
- • Added [C60] to the frame rates available for high-speed frame capture. Custom Setting d4 in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] is now [Pre-Release Capture options].
- • Added [High-frequency flicker reduction] to the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU].
- • Added [Focus position auto reset] under [Focus shift shooting] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU].
■ Video Recording
- • Added [High-frequency flicker reduction] to the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU].
- • Added [Hi-Res Zoom] to the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU].
- • Added [Reset using remote] under [Timecode] in the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU].
- • The [Prioritize viewfinder] monitor mode has been replaced by [Prioritize viewfinder (1)] and [Prioritize viewfinder (2)].
- • Expanded the range of monitor brightness options to include both brighter and darker settings.
- • Made the following additions to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]:
- – Added a [3D-tracking focus point color] option for Custom Setting a11 [Focus point display].
- – Added [Always] and [Only when flash is not used] options for Custom Setting d9 [View mode (photo Lv)] > [Show effects of settings].
- • The [Rotate tall] item in the playback menu is now [Auto-rotate pictures]. If [ON] is selected, the playback displays in the monitor and viewfinder will rotate automatically to match camera orientation.
- • The playback display now shows the color temperature for pictures taken with [Preset manual] selected for [White balance].
- • Options are now available for handling as a group each series of photographs taken in continuous-release modes.
- • Added [File info] to the options available under [Playback display options] in the [PLAYBACK MENU].
- • Added a full-format option under [Format memory card] in the [SETUP MENU] for use with compatible CFexpress memory cards.
- • Made the following additions to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]:
- – Added a [Type A auto restore delay] option for Custom Setting d14 [Release timing indicator].
- – Added [Center-weighted area] to the items available for customizing shooting displays using Custom Settings d18 [Custom monitor shooting display] and d19 [Custom viewfinder shooting display].
- – Custom Settings f2 [Custom controls (shooting)], f3 [Custom controls (playback)], and g2 [Custom controls] now offer access to an expanded selection of custom roles and controls.
- • Connection status is now shown in the shooting display when the camera is connected to an FTP server.
- • The camera now supports FTPS.
- • Added an [ATOMOS AirGlu BT options] item to the [NETWORK MENU].
■ Other Changes
- • Improved autofocus accuracy.
- • Improved low-light autofocus performance, lowering the minimum level of illumination required by 0.5 EV.
- • Reduced the sensitivity of [3D-tracking] to objects passing between the subject and the camera.
- • Improved focus performance when [Animal] is selected for [AF subject detection options] during [3D-tracking].
- • Reduced the tendency of the camera to focus on the background during subject detection when [Wide-area AF (S/L/C1/C2)], [3D-tracking], or [Auto-area AF] was selected.
- • Focus peaking, electronic rangefinding, and the focus distance indicator are now available when focus is adjusted using the lens focus ring, not only in manual focus mode but in other focus modes as well. In addition, adjustments have been made to the length of time the focus distance indicator is displayed.
- • Shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity will now be displayed if exposure is adjusted while the live view display is zoomed in.
- • Improved manual focus response in video mode and when silent mode is selected during still photography.
- • The shooting display now shows synchronized release connection status. Improvements have also been made to the display in the remote camera list accessed via [Connect to other cameras] > [Remote camera list] in the [NETWORK MENU].
- • [Português (PT)] has been added to the languages available via the [Language] item in the [SETUP MENU] for Z 9 cameras sold in Canada and the United States.
- • Fixed the following issues:
- – If (a) AF-S was selected for focus mode, (b) an AF-area mode that supported subject detection was selected via a control to which [AF-area mode + AF-ON] had been assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)], and (c) an option other than [Subject detection off] was selected for [AF subject detection options] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU], then pressing the custom control would sometimes fail to activate subject detection.
- – If (a) 3D-tracking was selected for AF-area mode, (b) an option other than [Subject detection off] was selected for [AF subject detection options] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU], and (c) the shooting settings recalled via a control to which [Recall shooting functions] or [Recall shooting functions (hold)] was assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)] had [3D-tracking] selected for [AF-area mode] and [Subject detection off] chosen for [AF subject detection options], then subject detection would continue during AF-ON after the custom control was pressed.
- – If (a) AF-C was selected for focus mode, (b) an option other than [3D-tracking] was selected for AF-area mode, (c) an option other than [Subject detection off] was selected for [AF subject detection options] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU], and (d) the shooting settings recalled via a control to which [Recall shooting functions] or [Recall shooting functions (hold)] was assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)] had [3D-tracking] selected for [AF-area mode], then subject detection would not be performed where expected when AF-ON was initiated via the custom control.
- – Shutter speeds of 1/320 s to 1/640 s would produce uneven exposure across the frame in pictures taken with SB‑800 flash units using auto FP high-speed sync.
- – Choosing a different Custom Settings bank in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] after selecting a non-default setting for [Auto bracketing] > [Increment] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] would cause the value for [Auto bracketing] > [Increment] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] to revert to 1.
- – Shooting information would in rare circumstances disappear from the viewfinder.
- – Attempting to record 8K video with a NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4S lens attached and an option other than [Off] selected for [Vibration reduction] in the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU] would sometimes cause the camera to stop responding.
- – Tracking small or low-contrast subjects against a solid-color background such as a blue sky would sometimes cause the focus area to move to the top of the display.
- – Selecting [C30] or [C120] for release mode when an option other than [Off] was chosen for [Active D-Lighting] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] would cause monitor or viewfinder brightness to change.
- – The camera would in rare circumstances fail to record 8K video correctly.
- – In video mode, the camera would fail to increase the aperture (lower the f/-number) after reaching the upper limit for ISO sensitivity in modes P and S if the value selected for [ISO sensitivity settings] > [Maximum sensitivity] in the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU] was below .
Download link: Nikon Z9 Firmware Update Version 3.00
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!