Fujifilm GFX 100S has earned a Gold Award with an overall score of 90% from the experts of Dpreview. The Fujifilm GFX100S price tag is $5,999 and available from Amazon, B&H, Adorama in the USA. It costs £5,499 in EU: AmazonDE / AmazonUK.
The Fujifilm GFX 100S is the fourth model in the GFX series, inheriting the 102MP sensor from the GFX 100. With the same 102 megapixel BSI CMOS sensor as in the GFX 100, $9,999.00, Fuji has created a smaller camera while retaining in-body stabilization at a much lower price point of $5,999.00.
WHAT WE LIKE:
- Excellent image quality across the ISO range
- Exceptional detail levels
- Very good tonal quality maintained into shadow regions
- Choice of Raw compression
- Image stabilization makes it easy to achieve full resolution
- Comfortable ergonomics and decent level of button/dial customization
- Relatively compact form factor
- Impressive video capabilities
- USB charging is convenient
WHAT WE DON’T:
- Autofocus performance varies significantly between lenses
- Face/Eye AF not as reliable as its FF rivals
- AF Tracking not as sticky
- No tracking AF in video
- Line-skipped video doesn’t give full sensor low-light performance
- Comparatively low battery life
- Viewfinder isn’t very high resolution
Conclusion from DPReview:
The Fujifilm GFX 100S is the smallest, least expensive way to achieve image quality beyond what full-frame can currently offer. You lose some responsiveness and flexibility in return for that, but as an image-making tool the GFX is excellent. It’s also a surprisingly capable video camera but its smaller battery risks being more limiting than it is for stills shooting. Impressive in the studio and beyond.
Landscapes, portraiture, studio work
Not so good for
Fast-paced action and scenarios that require rapid responses
Fujifilm GFX 100S Key Features
- 102-megapixel backside-illuminated CMOS image sensor
- Native ISO range of 100-12,800
- 16-bit raw files
- New Nostalgic Negative Film Simulation
- 3.76 million PDAF autofocus system covering nearly 100 percent of the image area
- The same autofocus performance and speed as the GFX 100
- New, smaller and more capable five-axis in-body image stabilization system
- New smaller focal plane shutter mechanism
- Quad-core X-Processor 4
- 5 fps continuous shooting, 64GB DRAM
- Weather-sealed magnesium alloy camera body
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots
- Top and rear sub displays
- New controls, including top Mode dial
- Tilting touchscreen display
- 3.69M dot EVF (0.77x, 85fps refresh rate)
- 4K/30p video recording
- 12-bit ProRes RAW 4K/30p video, 4:2:0/4:2:2 10-bit (SD/HDMI)
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Read more Fujifilm Camera Rumors.
Also join the Fujifilm Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Fujifilm photography.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.