Canon has officially announced the astrophotography version of its EOS R camera, the EOS Ra. Canon’s new EOS Ra full frame astrophotography camera is effectively identical to the EOS R, featuring 30MP sensor, 3.69M-dot OLED EVF, dot-matrix LED panel and magnesium-alloy body.
Specifically, Canon has modified the IR filter in front of the full-frame sensor, to allow the Ra to capture as much as four times the amount of hydrogen alpha rays (656nm wavelength) compared to the standard EOS R camera. Canon EOS Ra also offers a 30x magnification option in the EVF and in Live View, a significant increase from the 10x magnification found in the standard EOS R.
Canon EOS Ra Key features:
- 30.3 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Modified Filter for Enhanced Night Sky Recording
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5,655 Manually Selectable AF Positions
- RF Mount Compatible with RF Lenses and EF/EF-S Lenses* (with Optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS R)
- 4K 30p with Canon Log and 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI Output
- Built-in EVF with 3.69 Million Dots, Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD and Dot-matrix LCD Panel
- Sophistication in a Lightweight, Compact Size
- High Magnification Ratio of 30x in Live View
- Impressive Durability
- Silent Shutter
- USB Charge Compatible
The full press release is next:
MELVILLE, NY, November 5, 2019 – In the words of poet Quintus Ennius, “No one regards what is before his or her feet; we all gaze at the stars.” Helping to gaze and capture the beauty of the stars and beyond, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the company’s first full-frame mirrorless camera for astrophotography, the EOS Ra. This new camera was built off the EOS R system combining new features, such as four times greater transmittance of hydrogen-alpha (Hα) light of 656.3 nm compared to the original EOS R. For astrophotographers and hobbyists who enjoy capturing the detailed splendor of the night sky, the new EOS Ra will be an ideal camera to shoot with.
“Since the introduction of the EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera system last fall, Canon has remained committed to launching a line of impressive and innovative EOS R models and a strong variety of RF lenses and accessories to meet the needs of every skill level of photographer,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “As a group of photographers who are passionate about capturing what we can’t see with our naked eyes, the new EOS Ra is designed for astrophotographers looking to capture vivid imagery of the night sky.”
Targeting the needs of astrophotographers, the new EOS Ra full-frame mirrorless camera incorporates many advanced features of the EOS R, such as RF mount design, a 30.3MP CMOS sensor, high-precision electronic viewfinder, high-sensitivity, low-noise performance and 4K time-lapse shooting. Optional accessories include an AC adapter kit, which allows the camera to be powered through an AC wall outlet or a battery-powered inverter, a BG-E22 battery grip and three EF-EOS R mount adapters to accommodate the entire range of over seventy EF & EF-S lenses.
Other features include:
- Enhanced transmission of Hα rays (656.3 nm wavelength) through an infrared cutoff filter, helping to capture high-precision images of the deep-red wavelengths emitted by nebulae in vivid color, without any special camera alterations.
- A 30x maximum magnification, allowing users to make extremely precise manual focus adjustments*.
- Support for all Canon RF, EF and EF-S lenses (with the use of an optional EF-EOS R mount adapter), including more than 70 lenses from the EF series as well as RF series lenses, which deliver superb image quality. The variety of lenses, such as the large-diameter f/1.2 lenses, ultra-wide-angle lenses, and super-telephoto EF lenses, among others, are all well suited to help photographers to choose the best match for their specific astrophotography purposes.
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.