Canon has updated its RF Lenses lineup with the introduction of the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM. Along with the Canon EOS R3 ($5999 at Amazon | B&H Photo | Adorama) mirrorless camera, first ultra-wide prime lens in the EOS R line-up has been announced alongside a telephoto zoom.
Both are ‘budget friendly’ lenses – one telephoto and one wide – for RF mount. The RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM is similar to the RF 600mm F11 and RF 800mm F11 in that it’s very affordable and quite portable given its focal length range, with a slow maximum aperture being the main tradeoff.
The RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM will be available this month for $649. As with the 100-400mm, you’ll be able to pick up the 16mm F2.8 STM later this month. The lens is priced at $299.
Canon RF 16mm F/2.8 STM Key Features:
- Ultra wide-angle prime lens with 16mm focal length
- Wide, bright F2.8 aperture
- Smooth quiet STM focusing motor
- Weighs only 165g
- 0.13m minimum focusing distance 0.13m
- Maximum magnification of 0.26x
Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM Key Features:
- Flexible 100-400mm focal range
- Weighing only 635g, it’s lighter than lenses with similar specifications
- 0.88m minimum focusing distance at 200mm
- Nano USM focus motor for smooth, fast focus
- 5.5 stops Optical Image Stabilizer/ compatible with In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS)
Canon press release:
Canon Completes Another Chapter in the RF Lens Story – Introduces Two New Budget-Friendly Lenses for EOS R Full-Frame Mirrorless Users
MELVILLE, NY, September 14, 2021 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the RF16mm F2.8 STM and RF100–400mm F5.6–8 IS USM lenses. Both lenses invite current EOS R series users and those who are considering a move to Canon’s prominent mirrorless system, such as the EOS R or EOS RP, to expand their content creation abilities with the visual drama of an ultra-wide-angle lens and true telephoto-only zoom lens. As the “lens first” EOS R series continues to expand, these latest lenses open the door to a wide-range of imaging creators, encouraging them to test the powers and possibilities of their art.
Whether you are excited to start exploring the creative world of ultra wide-angle photography or someone who is looking to add another lens to expand your imaging offerings, the Canon RF16mm F2.8 STM is compact, lightweight and affordable. Long gone are the days of optical corrections or sharpness challenges – the new ultra-wide, 16mm RF lens, for full-frame cameras, comes with a fast and bright f/2.8 maximum lens aperture, as well as smooth and brisk AF (autofocus). This lens is a strong addition to the landscape, architecture or travel photographer — but it also provides the vlogging creator and the EOS Webcam Utility software user the power to integrate environments into their imagery, with its super-wide coverage.
Additional features of Canon’s new ultra wide-angle prime lens with 16mm focal length F2.8 include:
- STM Motor for smooth focusing when recording video
- Compact size and light weight — similar to RF50mm F1.8 STM
- Minimum focus distance of 5.11”
- Maximum magnification of 0.26x
- 43mm filter thread
Truly Telephoto Possibilities
The Canon RF100–400mm F5.6–8 IS USM provides users with a versatile and popular zoom range that brings subjects closer with ease. It’s an affordable and easily hand-holdable entry into the world of super-telephoto, full-frame photography and video. Offering superb performance and sharpness, the 100–400mm focal length provides a versatile range for all types of telephoto opportunities — be it portraits and documenting events, to sports, birding and wildlife. And, for the first time in a non-L-series lens, the RF100–400mm will accept optional Canon RF 1.4x and 2x tele extenders, offering even more telephoto potential in a lightweight package. Yes, the Canon RF100–400mm is an excellent gateway into the world of wildlife, nature, and sports photography. However, this lens and its super-telephoto abilities can also be leveraged for the video content creator or vlogger when compiling b-roll type footage or for subjects who are at a distance.
Additional features of the Canon RF100-400mm include:
- High image quality — similar to the well-regarded EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
- 100-400mm telephoto zoom range
- Accepts optional Canon RF 1.4x and 2x extenders
- F5.6 – F8 variable maximum aperture
- Easy hand-held operation — lighter than EF70-300 IS II lens
- Up to 5.5-Stops i optical IS and 6-stopsii correction with coordinated IS
- Nano USM for high-speed and smooth AF
- Smooth and nearly silent AF during video recording
- Superb close-focusing — at 400mm, excellent 0.41x magnification
- 9-blade aperture, for smooth backgrounds/foregrounds
- 67mm filter thread
Pricing and Availability
The Canon RF16mm F2.8 STM and RF100–400mm F5.6–8 IS USM are scheduled to be available in October 2021 for an estimated retail price of $299.99and $649.99, respectively*.
For additional information, please visit usa.canon.com.