Sony has announced the ZV-1 a content creator digital camera designed for vloggers with 4K video, tilting screen, and included microphone sheild. Sony ZV-1 is built around a 1″-type 20MP stacked CMOS sensor and the 24-70mm equiv. F1.8-2.8 lens from the RX100 III, IV and VA, but it uses a fully articulating touchscreen and reworked ergonomics to allow for selfie-style operation.
Sony say that 73% of Vloggers use a smartphone, so the ZV-1 is designed to help them getter better video quality, with a more professional look, thanks to the use of a 1inch sensor. The camera has a “Bokeh” button (C1) which lets you switch between the background being in focus or defocused for better subject separation. There’s also a “Product focus” setting, to quickly allow the focus to switch to products held up to the camera.
Sony ZV-1 will be available from early June with a list price of $799 (CAD$999). In the US there will be a promotion that drops the price to $749 if you buy before June 28th. Sony is also discounting its VCT-SGR1 Bluetooth shooting grip if you buy it with the ZV-1, until June 28th in the US and June 25th in Canada. Pricing in the UK and Europe is set at £700 and €800. Check availability at Adorama, B&HPhoto.
Sony ZV-1 Key Features:
- 20mp 1inch stacked BSI CMOS sensor
- ISO125-12800 expands to ISO80/100
- 315 phase-detection AF points – hybrid AF system
- AF with eye autofocus (real-time), and real-time tracking AF
- Face skin-tone smoothing, auto exposure based on your face (brand new)
- SteadyShot Active Mode: stabilisation optimized for walking (11x better – than “standard”), optical and electronic IS system (4K + FullHD)
- Clear voice recording, 3-capsule microphone, with wind-shield included – “dead cat” slots into the hot-shoe
- multi-interface hot-shoe so you can add additional audio (eg XLR), or you can use the microphone socket
- Bokeh button to switch between bokeh background or detailed background, plus product focus option
- 180degree tilting screen (can face forwards)
- 4K video: 14m image down to 8m for detail
- S-Log2/3 video recording, timelapse, HLG
- Super slow motion (upto 1000fps), vertical video shooting
Sony ZV-1 specs are very similar with the RX100-series models, including 4K UHD video at up to 30p, 1080 capture at up to 120p and high-speed upscaled video at up to 960p. There’s no built-in viewfinder or headphone socket, but the ZV-1 does have a ‘multi-accessory’ hot shoe on which to mount an external mic.
There is a range of accessories available, including:
- GP-VPT2BT – Bluetooth shooting grip.
- VCT-SGR1 – Compact and lightweight, with cable connection
- ACC-TRBX (Battery Charger) USB powered
- ECM-XYST1M – Stereo mic for multi-interface shoe
In addition, Sony will have a major product announcement in June 2020 and Sony is going to announce a new full frame E-mount mirrorless camera (probably Sony a7S III) and several new E-mount lenses on that event in June.
Read more: Best Lenses for Sony a7R IV.
Also join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.