Nikon unveils the new COOLPIX P950, a new superzoom bridge camera with an 83x optical zoom and 4K video recording abilities. The Nikon P950 is a mild upgrade to its 83x zoom bridge camera, the P900, adding 4K video and Raw support.
The COOLPIX P950 puts the incredible power of a 2,000mm zoom lens into a compact body that weighs just 2 lb. 3.5 oz. This combination of portability and super-telephoto performance is incredible, giving photographers the freedom to take their creativity to exciting new places.
The camera offers 16.0 megapixel sensor and equipped with a backside illumination CMOS image sensor. Nikon P950 features a larger 3.2inch screen, a larger, higher resolution electronic viewfinder, 4K video, raw shooting, plus Bluetooth, as well as a flash hot-shoe for added compatibility with flashguns, and the Nikon DF-M1 Dot-Sight scope.
- 1.2000 mm-equivalent super-telephoto photography at your fingertips
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an 83x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 2000 mm range of focal lengths. Lens optics, for which one Super ED and five ED lens elements have been adopted, effectively compensate for the chromatic aberration that commonly occurs with super-telephoto shooting, ensuring sharp and clear resolution throughout the entire zoom range. What’s more, when Dynamic Fine Zoom is used, shooting at the equivalent of approximately 4000 mm* is possible. Its Dual Detect Optical VR function supports image-stabilization capabilities equivalent to a 5.5-stop increase in shutter speed, making it the most powerful vibration reduction function in Nikon compact digital camera history. This enables nimble, hand-held shooting in the field, even at super-telephoto zoom positions, when taking a tripod along is inconvenient or impractical. AF performance at telephoto positions has been increased and the buffer has been expanded for superior continuous shooting performance so that users may successfully capture every perfect moment as it occurs.
- 2.Shooting and recording functions that support flexible imaging expression
Support for more realistic 4K UHD/30p movie recording
The COOLPIX P950 supports the recording of high-definition 4K UHD/30p movies. It can record powerful and dynamic movies beautifully at super-telephoto 2000 mm equivalent. In addition, frames from movies recorded in 4K UHD format can be saved as still images, preserving photos of decisive moments.
Adjust zoom speed with movie recording
When the side zoom control is operated with movie recording, zoom speeds of the lens can be set to High-speed movie zoom, Mid-speed movie zoom, or Low-speed movie zoom. This allows users to record more creative and artistic movies by, for example, choosing a slower zoom speed to achieve a cinematic effect with their movies. Changes in the aperture setting that occur with zooming during movie recording are also smooth for natural transitions in exposure, with very little flicker.
Support for Nikon’s exclusive NRW (RAW) file format
The COOLPIX P950 supports the recording of image data read from the image sensor with still-image photography as NRW (RAW) files*. Nikon’s RAW image processing software, Capture NX-D or ViewNX-i, can be used to edit and retouch these files to achieve the intended results without degrading image quality.
- *Images cannot be recorded in NRW (RAW) format with shooting in Creative mode, Bird-watching mode, Moon mode, or any of the scene modes. NRW (RAW) images cannot be processed or edited in-camera. NRW (RAW) images can be processed and edited by copying them to a computer and using ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D software.
- 3.Superior operation that supports comfortable shooting
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an approximately 2359k-dot OLED electronic viewfinder with eye sensor, and a 3.2-inch vari-angle monitor with wide viewing angle. It also has a side dial that can be used to perform the function assigned by the user in AF mode, or to adjust focus in MF mode, all without taking their eye away from the viewfinder. Other controls built into the COOLPIX P950, include a focus-mode selector for immediate switching between AF (autofocus) and MF (manual focus) modes, and an AE-L/AF-L button for locking exposure and/or focus, supporting more flexible response to shooting conditions, scenes, or subjects.
- 4.Greater possibilities for expansion to pursue more varied imaging expression
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an accessory shoe and an accessory terminal that supports a wide variety of accessories. Accessories such as a dot sight, which may assist with super-telephoto photography of small or distant subjects like birds and celestial bodies; speedlights that can be used to flexibly control lighting; and microphones that enable realistic recording of wild animal calls, concerts, and so forth, allow users to enjoy operational experience similar to that offered by digital SLR cameras.
- 5.Additional features
- Equipped with Bird-watching and Moon modes that can be quickly accessed using the mode dial
- A Clean HDMI output function that cleans the information displayed from the image output to an external monitor during recording
- Bulb and Time exposure options available for capturing long-time exposures
- SnapBridge support that enables remote camera control from a smart device*1 and automatic transfer*2 of photos to a smart device
- Creative mode that makes attaining the ideal imaging expression simple
- COOLPIX Picture Control allows individual imaging style to be achieved easily
- *1iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, and Android™ devices to which the SnapBridge app has been installed can be used. The SnapBridge app can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store® and Google Play™. See Nikon’s website for further information.
- *2Images are resized to 2 megapixels (2 million pixels) with automatic transfer. The transfer of original JPEG images and movies is not supported. Transfer of RAW (NRW) images is not supported.
- *Apple®, App Store®, the Apple logos, iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- *The iPhone trademark is used under license from Aiphone Co., Ltd.
- *Android™ and Google Play™ are trademarks of Google LLC
- *Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
Full List of Nikon Products at CES 2020
- Nikon D780 Starts at $2,296.95 – at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon
- Nikon COOLPIX P950 – $799.00 – at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon
- NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Lens – $2,596.95 – at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon
- AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR Lens – $9,496.95 – at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!