Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 lens is a pro-grade telephoto lens and also the first full-frame tele-zoom for the Nikon Z system. The lens has Vibration Reduction built-in – which works in tandem with the Z6 and Z7‘s in-body IS system – and can reduce shake by up to 5 stops.
As part of the S-Line series of NIKKOR Z lenses, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S is a telephoto zoom lens that covers the 70 mm to 200 mm range of focal lengths with a constant fast maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout that range.
The 70-200 F2.8 weighs in at 1.4kg (3.2lbs) and uses 77mm filters. A customizable control ring allows for quick adjustment of aperture or exposure compensation, and a digital display shows things like aperture and focus distance. As with other high-end Z-mount lenses, the 70-200 is weather-sealed.
NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S
- SR, fluorite, and ED lens elements adopted for incredibly sharp and clear rendering all the way to the extreme edges of the frame and from maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range
- Maximum aperture of f/2.8 for large and beautiful bokeh that makes the primary subject stand out even more
- A telephoto zoom lens that offers the shortest minimum focus distance (0.5 m) in its class at the wide-angle position
- AF performance equivalent to that of the popular AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR lens; superior performance is achieved even when shooting rapidly moving subjects
- Adoption of a multi-focusing system for AF drive demonstrates superior optical performance with little aberration, even with shooting at close distances
- Combining ARNEO Coat and Nano Crystal Coat technologies achieves even more effective ghost and flare suppression
- A compact and lightweight lens and camera realized with the Z mount system, which offers superior portability while maintaining excellent rendering performance
- Focus breathing control that is effective not only with movie recording, but also with focus shift shooting
- Equipped with a control ring, lens info panel, and lens Fn buttons for smooth and natural operation
- Equipped with a VR mechanism that provides the most effective camera shake compensation (equivalent to a 5.5-stop increase in shutter speed) in the history of NIKKOR lenses for interchangeable-lens cameras
- Designed with dust and drip resistance in mind, and fluorine coat adopted for superior protection against dust, water, grease, and dirt
The NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S – Astonishing Details, Uncompromising Zoom
An essential pro-level telephoto zoom lens re-imagined to take advantage of the optical potential of the Z series, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S is the latest addition to Nikon’s rapidly growing lineup of mirrorless lenses. The NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 represents a pivotal lens for the Z series and a must-have for those shooting action, weddings, events, news, wildlife and portraits. Equipped with a versatile focal range, fast f/2.8 aperture and an impressive 5 stops of built-in optical VR image stabilization1, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm gives mirrorless shooters the flexibility to capture astoundingly sharp images and videos in a variety of scenarios. Additionally, multimedia and content creators using the lens will appreciate the stepping motor (STM) for extremely quiet autofocus operation and reduced focus breathing.
The NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S demonstrates the technological benefits of the Nikon Z mount to reinvent a classic lens, while including new features to make this photographer favorite even more superior for Z series users. Parfocal support maintains focus when zooming, while a reduced minimum focus distance (0.5m wide, 1.0m telephoto) vastly increases versatility for photos and video. When used in combination with the in-body stabilization of the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 promises unparalleled stability with additional optical stabilization. Like other S line lenses, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 boasts a premium optical design complete with a 9-blade diaphragm as well as Anti-Reflective Nano Crystal and ARNEO coatings for maximum image quality in any light, with a Fluorine coating that resists dirt and smudges. In addition to a rugged weather sealed design the lens is ready to tackle any assignment with a dedicated Info Panel, two customizable Function buttons and an additional custom control ring.
The new NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S and AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR are the first Nikon lenses to feature the newly developed SR (Short-Wavelength Refractive) lens element, a specialized-dispersion glass lens featuring characteristics that greatly refract light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. By controlling short-wavelength light that is difficult to compensate, the lens can more effectively collect light of various specific wavelengths and achieve highly precise chromatic aberration compensation.
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.