Sigma officially announces the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sports lens. The newest F2.8 large-aperture zoom lens from Sigma comes in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mounts.
The ever-evolving 70–200mm is now available in the Sports line. The F2.8 zoom lenses are the essential equipment for many professional photographers. 70-200mm F2.8 lenses in particular are expected to perform at their best in various challenging scenes, from news to sports, landscape, and portraits. The SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports has high optical quality, a tough design and excellent handling ―all of the features required by professional photographers and high-end amateurs. The all-round, ultimate 70-200mm F2.8 is now available.
Pricing and availability will be announced later. Check out all the Photokina 2018 news
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sports
One of the most anticipated lenses from the Sigma Global Vision line, the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sports is the new flagship large-aperture telephoto zoom lens that meets the most stringent needs of professional photographers. Robust yet lightweight, the lens’ magnesium body ensures high mobility and its dust- and splash-proof structure together with the water- and oil-repellent coating on the front element ensure safe use even in the most challenging shooting conditions. It also incorporates Intelligent OS with an acceleration sensor and the latest algorithm capable of panning in all directions. The lens’ optical design, incorporating 10 exclusive low-dispersion glass elements, allows for extremely high resolution, from the center to the corners. By optimizing spherical aberration, a smooth and natural bokeh effect is achieved when using the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sports for portrait photography. The versatility of this lens is demonstrated in various customization options via an AF Function button either through the camera body or Sigma USB Dock.
1.Combining all of the features required by professional photographers
To make the lens lightweight while maintaining robustness, magnesium is used to ensurehigh mobility. As a lens from the Sports line, the dust-and splash-proof structure,together with the water-and oil-repellent coating on the front lens,ensuressafe use even in the most challenging shooting conditions. The SIGMA 70–200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports also incorporates Intelligent OS*1with an acceleration sensor and the latest algorithm capable of panning in all directions. The high-speed AF, thanks to the HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) with an updated algorithm, captures instantaneous photography movement.*1 In Mode 2, the movements of subjects can be captured without losing panning effects thanks to the image stabilization function even when the camera is moved horizontally, vertically, or diagonally—regardless of the position of the lens.
2.Incorporating 10 exclusive low-dispersion glass elements
To provide excellent correction of color aberration, nineFLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements and anSLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element, in total tenexclusive low-dispersion glass elements are incorporated. From the center to the corners, extremely high resolution is realized, makingthe lenscapable of meeting the most demanding needs of professional photographers in various shooting conditions. By optimizing spherical aberration, a smooth and naturalbokeh effect is ensured making the lens perfect for portrait photography.
3.Customization is possible to improve versatility
An AF Function button is provided to allocate various functions. By selectingit from the menu on camera bodies, or using the optional SIGMA USB DOCK*2, functions other than AF Lock can be allocated too. It expands shooting styles, depending ontheuser’s preference. In addition, the tripod socket with 90° clickstops, made with a magnesium alloy which is both lightweight and tough, is incorporated to ensure easier changes of shooting position from vertical to horizontal and vice versa. It can be attached directly to an Arca Swiss type clamp.
*2 For Canon, it is available from compatible camera models. For SIGMA and Nikon, the optional SIGMA USB DOCK and a PC which has SIGMA Optimization Pro software installed are required.
4.The three F2.8 zooms that exhibit maximum performance
Together with the existing SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | Art and SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art lenses, the SIGMA 70–200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports completes the lineup of three F2.8 large-aperture zoom lenses capable of covering focal lengths from 14mm to 200mm. The three lenses exhibit maximum performance in scenes requiring shooting under various conditions and circumstances such as scouting filming locations and overseas reporting assignments.
- Tele Converters that are designed to match the currentlens lineup (optional) can be attached *The addition of SIGMA’s TELE CONVERTER TC-1401 or TELE CONVERTER TC-2001 produces anAF 98-280mm F4 hyper-telephoto zoom lens or an AF 140-400mm F5.6 hyper-telephoto zoom lensrespectively.
- Tripod socket with high usability・With 90° click (de-clickable)stops・Replaceable lens foot (Can be used on monopod when removed)・Compatible with Arca Swiss type clamps(with stopper screw)
- Hood with lock
- Equipped with a focus limiter
- Manual Override (MO) capable of switchingtwo full-time manual modes*By setting it to the MO position, it switches to manual focus by rotating the focus ring even during continuous AF. Using theoptional SIGMA USB DOCK, it is possible to adjust the MO position’s sensitivity to switch to manual focus.
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm
- Compatible with Canon Lens Aberration Correction*Function not available on all Canon cameras. Further, available corrections may vary by Canon camera model.
- Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included
- Compatible withSIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK* Not available for Sony E-mount lens
- Available Mount Conversion Service
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system: A1
- High-precision, rugged brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
- Lens Construction: 24 elements in 22 groups
- Angle of view (35mm): 34.3°-12.3°
- Number of diaphragm blades: 11 (rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F22
- Minimum focusing distance: 120cm/ 47.2in.
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:4.8
- Filter size: ø 82mm
- Dimensions (diameter x length): ø94.2mm x 202.9mm/ ø 3.7in. x 8.0in.
- Weight:1,805g / 63.7oz.