The EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM take their places as the world’s lightest professional super telephoto lenses in their class. The weight of the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM lenses has been reduced by 2.2 lbs. (more than 25 percent) and 1.9 lbs. (more than 20 percent) respectively.
The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM is scheduled to begin shipping in December 2018 with an estimated retail price of $11,999. The Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM is scheduled to begin shipping in December 2018 for an estimated retail price of $12,999.
Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III & EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III Lenses Announced
The new lenses are must-haves for advanced and professional photographers shooting wildlife, aviation, sports and news with Canon’s new EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera (with use of one of the three new Canon mount adapters), as well the EOS 1D and 5D series of DSLR Cameras.
Both lenses feature two of Canon’s most advanced propriety lens technologies – Air Sphere Coating (ASC) and Super Spectra Coating (SSC), helping to reduce flaring and ghosting, and suppressing the reflection of light, leading to vivid images. These updated lenses inherit the excellent overall build-quality and ruggedness photographers have come to expect and admire from the Canon EF L series of lenses. In addition, the minimum focusing distance has been improved for both lenses, from 2.7m to 2.5m (8.8ft to 8.2ft) for the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and 4.5m to 4.2m (14.8ft to 13.8ft) for the EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM.
Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III & EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III features
- Upgraded Optical Image Stabilization from three-and-a-half stops to five shutter speed stops1 of correction over the previous f/2.8 lens
- Improved, flexible focus control with a customizable electronic-focus ring
- Two fluorite lenses and one super UD lens, helping to provide high image quality
- Circular nine-blade aperture
- 17 lens elements in 13 groups
- Heat-shielding paint helps prevent lens temperature from rising during excessive exposure to sun
- Fluorine coating on front and rear optical elements, helps to reduce smears and fingerprints
- Inner focusing system with Ring Ultrasonic Motor
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
- Superb quality from an advanced optical design
- The lightest 400mm f/2.8 lens in the world (2840gï¼‰
- Keep fast-moving subjects in sharp focus
- Stay sharp when shooting handheld or in low light
EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM
- Superb quality from advanced optics
- The world’s lightest 600mm f/4 (3050gï¼‰
- Focus quickly and accurately on moving subjects
- Work confidently hand-held and in low-light conditions