Olympus has officially introduced a rugged compact camera called Stylus Tough TG-5. It replaces the TG-4 version with a new sensor and processor, advanced tracking capabilities, 4K video capture, Wi-Fi and more.
The Olympus TG-5 uses a new sensor but the resolution has dropped to 12MP in order to improve image quality. On the other hand TruePic VIII image processor is the same as the one found in the E-M1 Mark II.
The Stylus Tough TG-5 is waterproof, crushproof, shockproof, freeze-proof, and dust-proof. According to the company users can take it 15 meters / 50 feet underwater or to places where the temperatures drop down to -10 degrees Celsius / 14 degrees Fahrenheit. Moreover, it can withstand 100kg / 220 pounds of force and drops from 2.1 meters / 7 feet.
It will be released this June in black and red color options for a price of $449.99 and it can be pre-ordered at Amazon right now.
Olympus unveils TG-5 rugged compact camera
The TG-5 inherits quite a few features from Olympus’ TG Tracker action camera, with the ability to log location, temperature, pressure and direction with the flip of a switch. The recorded info can be viewed in the O.I. Share app via maps and charts.
The lens offers 4x optical zoom and a full-frame equivalent of 25-100mm. Its maximum aperture stands at f/2-4.9 depending on the selected focal length. Olympus has added dual panel glass to prevent ‘foggy’ due to rapid changes in temperature. The lens can still focus down to 1cm/0.4in in its ‘microscope’ mode.
Video-wise, the TG-5 can capture UHD 4K video at 30p or go ‘high speed’ at 120 fps when shooting Full HD movies.
Olympus TG-5 Features
- New 12MP Hi-Speed Image Sensor for Improved Low Light Performance and Noise Reduction
- Bright F2.0 Hi-Speed Lens
- Dual Quad Core TruePic™ VIII Image Processor
- 4x Optical Zoom (35mm equivalent: 25mm-100mm)
- RAW Capture
- New Field Sensor System w/ GPS, Manometer, Compass & Temperature Sensor
- On Screen Field Sensor Data Display
- Olympus Image Track app Plays and Exports Videos and Still Images with Field Sensor System Data
- Waterproof to depths of 50 feet / 15m
- Crushproof to 220 lbf/100 kgf
- Shockproof from 7 ft /2.1 m
- Freezeproof to 14⁰F / -10⁰C
- New Anti-Fog Lens with Sealed, Dual Pane Glass to Prevent Condensation
- New Full HD 120fps High Speed Video
- New 4K Video Capture
- 4 Macro Modes: Microscope, Microscope Control, Focus Stacking, and Focus Bracketing
- New PRO Capture Mode for Lag-Free Shooting
- 4 Underwater Modes: Underwater, Wide, Underwater Macro, Underwater Snapshot, and Underwater HDR
- Ergonomic Body Design with Convenient Dial Control, Zoom Lever and Accessory Lock Button
- Built-in Wi-Fi for Remote Shooting and Wireless Sharing
A number of accessories are available, including waterproof tele and fisheye conversion lenses, an LED Light Guide and flash diffuser and an underwater housing that functions down to 45m/147ft.