Canon has a patent application in Japan. The new patent is about a new generation of hybrid optical viewfinder instead of an electronic one.
From the patent details we can see that Canon added a extra display element in the viewfinder that will reflect all required information to the user.
So users can check their settings for the composition while looking from the viewfinder. This one sure looks like the same hybrid one found on the Fuji X100 series digital compact models.
Canon Patent for Hybrid Optical Viewfinder
- Patent Publication No. 2016-35525
- Published 2016.3.17
- Filing date 2014.8.4
- Canon patent
- During the pentagonal prism and the eyepiece optical system, providing two optical surface inclined
- Since the light from the objective optical system is transmitted through the two optical surfaces, the photographer can observe the object
- Since the light from the display optical system reflects the second optical surface and the first optical surface, the photographer can observe the display information
- Display panel, display the shooting information at the time of the mirror-down, to display a live view image at the time of the mirror-up
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".