Egami discovered a new patent filed by Canon. The new patent describes the EF-M 18-40mm f/3.5-5.6 pancake lens. The new Canon patent includes a bunch of other optical formulas such as an 18-55mm f/4-8 , 10-20 mm f/4-5.6 , 9-18mm f/4-5.6.
Canon currently has EF-M 11-22mm mirrorless lens. If these patents become available this year, the EOS M line would benefit a zoom pancake lens as described above.
Canon Patent for EF-M 18-40mm f/3.5-5.6 Pancake Lens
- Patent Publication No. 2014-6275
- Publication date 2014.1.16
- Filing date 2012.6.21
- Example 7
- Zoom ratio 3.00
- Focal length f = 18.10-37.01-54.30mm
- Fno. 4.20-6.20-8.20
- Half angle ω = 36.92-20.17-14.06 °
- Image height Y = 13.60mm
- 64.74-56.63-62.13mm lens length
- BF 0.50mm
- Canon patents
- The possible vibration damping by the second lens group
- Feeding whole, front focus, focusing, rear focusing, etc.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".