Korean lens manufacturer Samyang is well-known for making third-party lenses with an excellent price/feature ratio. Recently, Samyang announced a new series of Sony E-Mount lenses for filmmakers with a built-in M0.8 industry-standard focus ring but with autofocus capabilities: the Samyang V-AF.
The Samyang V-AF lineup consists of five prime lenses: 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 45mm, and 75mm. In addition, all lenses feature a maximum aperture of T1.9. Five lenses will be launched starting Q3 2022 until Q4 2023, including a 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 45mm, and 75mm lens, each with a T1.9 maximum aperture. These lenses are compatible with Sony E-Mount cameras and cover full-frame sensors.
The first lens from this new line-up is the V-AF 75mm T1.9. It costs $649 at B&HPhoto. The 24 and 35mm T1.9 FE will launch in Q4 2022, the 45mm T1.9 FE in Q2 2023, and the 20mm T1.9 FE at the end of 2023.
Samyang V-AF features
- Every lens’ exact size and weight are 280g/0.6lbs with a length of 7.2cm
- The same 43.3mm image circle, which covers full-frame sensors
- A front filter diameter of 58mm, and an outside diameter of 70mm – this front diameter is a little strange, far from the standard 80/85/95mm outside diameter for clamp-on matte boxes
- Nine aperture blades for smooth bokeh results
- The focus ring rotates 300° and features industry-standard 0.8mod focus gears
- All lenses are weather-sealed, and the set’s color tone is unified, according to Samyang
- There is a custom mode switch and focus hold button on the lens
A unified form factor that’s compact & light
All V-AF lenses provide greater compatibility with gimbals and drones because they all have the same form factor across 5 different focal lengths (ultra-wide to medium-telephoto). Compact dimensions of 73mm x 70mm and a light weight of less than 300g, means there is no need to re-set equipment when changing lenses.
Tally lamp for enhanced functionality
The tally lamp located on the front of the lens indicates to the presenter whether video is being recorded or not. It means video content creation is more convenient, even in small spaces and without a lot of equipment.
Supports colour-matched 8K recording
The new V-AF series supports resolutions up to 8K and all lenses are colour-matched to avoid shifts when swapping lenses. Nine aperture blades create a superb, natural-looking bokeh.
Custom Switch & Button
The lens features a custom switch and button that enables access to video-specific functions, such as Focus Save, quickly and easily.
Detailed information on the new V-AF series can be found on the Samyang Optics official website