Canon has announced the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM, a more affordable wide-angle alternative to the existing RF 15-35mm F2.8. Canon says it’s the widest range covered by any of its full-frame wide-angle zooms. Autofocus is handled by a Nano USM motor and offers a maximum magnification of 0.38x at the maximum zoom setting.
Similar to the 16-35mm f/2.8 and 16-35mm f/4 lenses that were available for Canon’s EF mount, the addition of this new 14-35mm f/4 completes a pair of wide-angle L-glass zooms for RF mount.
It offers up to 5.5 stops of shake correction for up to 7 stops when used with an EOS R series camera with in-body image stabilization. The lens covers a huge range of “wide-angles” from 14mm through 35mm
Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens Key Features
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/4 to f/22
- Dramatic, creative possibilities with 14mm ultra wide-angle coverage
- Covers entire wide-angle zoom range, from exceptionally wide 14mm through 35mm
- Bright, constant f/4 zoom lens with L-series optical construction; includes Canonfs SWC and ASC lens coating technologies
- Compact design – Approx. 1.2 lbs. weight, similar to RF85mm F2 IS STM lens
- Close-focusing down to 7.9 inches at all focal lengths, and maximum magnification of 0.38x, at 35mm zoom setting
- Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5.5 stops of shake correction
- Control Ring for direct setting changes
- Dust- and weather-resistant
- High speed, smooth and quiet autofocus with Canonfs Nano USM
- Up to 7 stops of shake correction when paired with EOS R series cameras featuring In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS)
Providing the ultimate combination of ultra wide-angle, L-series optics and compact construction, the RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens is an incredible complement to an EOS R series camera. This lens offers up to 5.5 stops of shake correction for sharp images (up to 7 stops of correction when used on EOS R series cameras with In-Body Image Stabilization), and covers an entire wide-angle zoom range – from 14mm through 35mm – whether you shoot landscapes, videos, or architecture. Plus, optimized coatings to help minimize ghosting. The RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM distinguishes itself by maintaining incredibly high image quality, even at its constant f/4 maximum aperture. It also offers a minimum focusing distance of 7.9 in. / 0.2m at all focal lengths, and a maximum magnification of 0.38x (at 35mm), allowing you to open up a world of possibilities for creative expression.
The RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM is an ideal and lightweight wide-angle companion, capable of high-quality, creative photos and video anywhere, or simply set up in the comfort of your home for vlogging or livestream purposes.
Canon Introduces New RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM Lens Broadening Imaginative Possibilities For Still And Video
MELVILLE, NY, June 29, 2021– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens. This dramatic new lens brings 14mm, ultra wide-angle coverage to full-frame EOS R-series users. On top of the ultra-wide capabilities, the 14-35mm zoom range is the broadest ever in a Canon wide-angle zoom for full-frame AF cameras. For many Canon users, one single lens can potentially handle all wide-angle needs, from vivid, creative ultra-wide imagery to traditional street photography.
The new wide-angle lens is designed for use within the expanding family of EOS R full-frame mirrorless cameras, including the upcoming EOS R3, currently in development. Whether you capture stills, video, or like many creatives today – both – this new wide-angle lens from Canon can help elevate users’ content game when capturing images or video in a wide variety of situations, such as landscape, architecture, and travel.
A compact overall design, and extremely modest overall weight of just 1.2 lbs. — along with excellent balance, during hand-held or even gimbal-mounted operation — add to RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM inviting character. A key feature, sure to appeal to many landscape and nature photographers, is this lens’s ability to accept conventional, 77mm screw-in filters. This is especially noteworthy on a lens for full-frame cameras with 14mm ultra-wide coverage. Additionally, the lens’s close-focusing capability is exceptional for an ultra-wide zoom of its type.
Image Stabilization further enhances the RF14-35mm’s appeal for low-light still imagery, and for steady yet striking wide video footage. Up to 5.5 stopsi of optical Image Stabilization is built-in, and Coordinated IS with cameras such as the EOS R6 and EOS R5 delivers up to 7 stopsii of shake-correction. This can mean sharper hand-held images in low light, even at extremely slow shutter speeds.
The Canon RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens features a bright, constant f/4 maximum aperture, L-Series optical construction — highlighted by three UD-glass elements, and three Aspherical elements — and many of the company’s most advanced proprietary lens coatings, including Sub-wavelength Structure Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC). These superb lens coatings help minimize ghosting and flaring. Lens placement and coatings are also optimized to help users get clear, high-contrast images, even when there is a bright light source either in, or immediately outside, the frame. Additional features of the Canon RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM include:
- Compact design — Approximately 1.2 lbs. in weight.
- Minimum focusing of 7.9 inches at all focal lengths and a maximum magnification of 0.38x at 35mm zoom setting.
- Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5.5 stopsi of shake correction.
- Up to 7 stopsii of shake correction when paired with Canon EOS R series cameras that feature In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS).
- High speed, smooth and quiet autofocus with Canon’s Nano USM.
- Control Ring for direct setting changes of aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed and exposure compensation.
- Superb dust and weather-resistance on par with other Canon L-series lenses.
Pricing and Availability
The Canon RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM lens is scheduled to be available in August 2021 for an estimated retail price of $1,699.00*. For additional information, please visit usa.canon.com.
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!