Sigma has announced three new compact, premium full-frame lenses for Sony E-mount and Leica/Panasonic/Sigma’s L-mount cameras. The 24mm F3.5, 35mm F2 and 65mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary lenses share similar designs and have weather-sealed metal bodies. The 24mm F3.5, 35mm F2 and 65mm F lenses will be available in mid-January for $549, $639 and $699, respectively.
The 24mm F3.5 has a minimum focus distance of 11cm (4.3″) and a max magnification of 1:2 (0.5x). The lens weighs in at just 225 grams (7.9 ounces) and includes a petal-type lens hood. The 35mm F2 DG DN has 10 elements and uses SLD and aspherical glass as well as the Super Multi-Layer coating. The minimum focus distance is 27cm (11″) with the max magnification coming in at 0.18x. The lens is slightly heavier at 325g (11.5oz). Finally the 65mm F2 DG DN has a minimum focus distance of 55cm (22″) and a maximum magnification of 0.15x. The 65mm weighs in at 405 grams (14.3oz). It comes with a metal tube-style hood.
All three lenses have aperture rings and by-wire manual focus dials, and are driven by stepping motors. They all come with both metal lens caps that attach magnetically and with conventional plastic pinch-type lens caps. Sigma will offer a magnetic lens cap holder that’s attached to a carabiner. All three lenses.
1. I series | ‘Premium Compact Primes’ bringing a new photographic experience to mirrorless users
The SIGMA I series features full-frame-compatible lenses that offer mirrorless users a new and better alternative, both in the experience of shooting with the lens and in the impressive results it is able to achieve. One of the key advantages of mirrorless cameras is their smaller form-factor, and this new 65mm optic is designed to be perfectly matched to these more compact systems without sacrificing performance. This combination of superb optical quality with exceptional portability, not previously possible with DSLR systems, will bring new opportunities to this and future generations of photographers.
Simultaneously, SIGMA is aware of the increasing number of camera options there now are, especially with the growth in smartphone ownership, so people are looking for something more than a mere act of taking pictures when they choose to own a camera and lenses. SIGMA’s excellence in development and processing technologies has been built up since its founding in 1961, and has become further sophisticated with the introduction of the SIGMA Global Vision range in 2012. With this as a base, SIGMA has given careful thought to how photographers use and enjoy their lenses, including optical design, advanced functionality, superb build quality and the experience of picking up and using the lens, and with all of this carefully considered, the I series was born.
2. New standards of optical performance for the Contemporary line
The 65mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary brings to the table the highest level of optical performance even at its maximum aperture of F2. Axial chromatic aberration, which tends to be noticeable with medium and telephoto lenses and cannot be effectively reduced in-camera, is corrected thoroughly with the use of SLD glass, allowing it to resolve extreme detail. A pair of glass-molded aspherical lenses is used to correct spherical and comatic aberration, as well as astigmatism, while also helping make the optical configuration smaller in size. A combination of the latest optical design and advanced processing technology gives the 65mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary its excellent optical performance as well as compact size.
In addition to the beautiful bokeh effect thanks to the control of spherical aberration, the reduced effect of vignetting help curb lemon-shaped or swirly bokeh and give photographers greater control over the out-of-focus areas of their images. And SIGMA-standard anti-ghosting and anti-flare technology ensures high-end performance in backlit conditions.
3. Exceptional build quality with a compact form-factor
All I series lenses have an all-metal construction. The precision-cut aluminum parts not only give the barrel a sleek, stylish finish but provide superb durability, which improves the quality of the entire product. Metal materials are also used in internal structures that slide with the operation ring for added robustness. These high-precision components, crafted with SIGMA’s cutting-edge metalworking technology, are also used in the production of the cine lens line-up for professional film-makers and provide an exceptionally premium feel that make these lenses a joy to use.
The cover ring between the focus ring and the aperture ring has hairline processing that is also used for the rear cylinder of the Art line. This covering functions as a finger hold when attaching or detaching the lens.
4. Features an aperture ring, metal lens hood and magnetic lens cap
Despite being exceptionally small and light for an all-metal, full-frame, wide-aperture lens, the 65mm F2 DG DN |C has impressive functionality, with an aperture ring that allows photographers to change apertures on the lens, or when set to Auto, in-camera if preferred. Special sound-deadening grease has been used to give the ring a precise but smooth action. Included in the box is the regular plastic SIGMA lens cap, as well as a metal cap that attaches to the front of the lens magnetically. A lens cap holder is available to buy separately, which can be clipped to a bag strap or clothing and holds the cap magnetically while the lens is being used. The lens comes with an all-metal lens hood.
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Stepping motor
- Compatible with lens-based optical correction
- Mount with dust- and splash-proof structure
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Aperture ring
- Focus Mode Switch
- Lens Hood
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimise flare and ghosting
- Supports DMF, AF+MF (for Sony E-mount only)
- Inner focusing
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system ‘A1’
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm (35mm / 65mm), 7-blade rounded diaphragm (24mm)
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- ‘Made in Japan’ craftsmanship
To learn more about SIGMA’s craftsmanship, please visit SIGMA website at
65mm f/2.0 DG DN Key specifications
The figures below are for L-Mount.
- Lens construction: 12 elements in 9 groups (1 SLD element, 2 aspherical lenses)
- Angle of view: 36.8° | Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (Rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F22 | Minimum focusing distance: 55cm
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:6.8 | Filter size: φ62mm
- Maximum dimensions x length: φ72mm×74.7mm | Weight: 405g
- RELEASE: 1 January 2021, PRICE: £649.99 including VAT
- Supplied accessories: Magnetic metal lens cap FRONT CAP LCF62-01M, Lens Hood (LH656-01)
35mm f/2.0 DG DN Key specifications
The figures below are for L-Mount.
- Lens construction: 10 elements in 9 groups (1 SLD element, 3 aspherical elements)
- Angle of view: 63.4° | Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (Rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F22 | Minimum focusing distance: 27cm
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:5.7 | Filter size: φ58mm
- Maximum dimensions x length: φ70mm×65.4mm | Weight: 325g
- RELEASE: 1 January 2021, SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: £549.99 including VAT
- Supplied accessories: Magnetic metal lens cap FRONT CAP LCF58-01M, Lens Hood (LH636-01)
24mm f/3.5 DG DN Key specifications
The figures below are for L-Mount.
- Lens construction: 10 elements in 8 groups (1 SLD element, 3 aspherical elements)
- Angle of view: 84.1° | Number of diaphragm blades: 7 (Rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F22 | Minimum focusing distance: 10.8cm
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:2 | Filter size: φ55mm
- Maximum dimensions x length: φ64mm×48.8mm | Weight: 225g
- RELEASE: 22 January 2021, SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: £479.99 including VAT
- Supplied accessories: Magnetic metal lens cap FRONT CAP LCF55-01M, Petal type Lens Hood (LH576-01)
Available mount: L-Mount, Sony E-mount
* The appearance and specifications of the product are subject to change.
* This product is developed, manufactured and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation.
* L-Mount is a registered trademark of Leica Camera AG.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 4 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. Luminar 4's revolutionary tools and AI technologies give superpowers for creative photo editing. We rated Luminar as Highly Recommended.