The 40mm F1.4 DG | Art from Sigma is a near perfect normal focal length lens. It’s a close match for the diagonal length of a full frame sensor. A historically popular focal length, The SIGMA 40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art is SIGMA’s first lens developed originally to live up to the sought-after angle of view and performance standard for a cine lens. This new perspective to ensure the quality of professional equipment for visual production empowers it to breakthrough also as an interchangeable photographic lens.
Pricing and availability will be announced later. Check out all the Photokina 2018 news.
Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
The 40mm F1.4 DG HSM Art is Sigma’s first lens developed originally to live up to the sought-after angle of view and performance standard for a benchmark cine lens. This lens effectively arranges three FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements and three SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements to correct axial chromatic aberration and magnification chromatic aberration. Designed for exceptional sharpness at maximum aperture, this lens excels at available light photography. With less than 1% distortion and near non-existent sagittal coma flare, this lens demonstrates consistent optical results featuring both 8K-compatible resolution and a beautiful bokeh. It is available for Sigma, Nikon, Canon and Sony E mount camera systems.
1.Optical performance that meets the requirement of high-end cine lenses
This lens effectively arranges three FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements and three SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements to correct axial chromatic aberration and magnification chromatic aberration to the limit. A sharp image is formed on the focal plane with the maximum aperture and contrast withthe soft bokeh in the out of focus areahighlights the solidity of a subject. With a distortion of 1% or below and a sagittal coma flare corrected to the limit, it demonstrates a consistent optical characteristic over the entire sensor. This is the ultimate large-diameter standard lens that has both 8K-compatible resolution and beautiful bokeh.
2.Designed to meet all shooting conditions
The water-and oil-repellent coatingon the front lens element, together with the dust-and splash-proof structure, ensures excellent performance even in the most challenging shooting conditions.The high-speed AF, thanks to the HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) with an updated algorithm, captures instantaneous photography movement.
3.SIGMA CINE LENS –Inheritingthehigh standard and superior optical performance of SIGMA’s Art lenses
The optical design of SIGMA’s Art line is adopted and extended to “SIGMA CINE LENS” to achieve professional equipment for video production, which have been used in various filming situations. Thanks to its superior optical performance, the lenses can accommodate 50 million pixels and above in full-frame still cameras and meet the high-resolution requirements of leading edge 8K video technology. As high-end cine lenses, SIGMA offers 10 prime lenses, ranging from 14mm to 135mm, compatible with 35mm full-frame models, in theFF High Speed Prime Line. SIGMA also provides one zoom lens in the FF Zoom Line, and two zoom lenses compatible with super 35 in the High Speed Zoom Line.
- Hood with lock
- Compatible with Canon Lens Aberration Correction *Function not available on all Canon cameras. Further, available corrections may vary by Canon camera model.
- Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included
- Manual Override (MO) capable of switching two full-time manual modes *By setting it to the MO position, it switches to manual focus by rotating the focus ring even during continuous AF. Using the optional SIGMA USB DOCK, it is possible to adjust the MO position’s sensitivity to switch to manual focus.
- Compatible with SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK* Not available for Sony E-mount lens
- Available Mount Conversion Service
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system: A19-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, rugged brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 12 group
- Angle of view (35mm): 56.8°
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F16
- Minimum focusing distance: 40cm/ 15.7in.
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:6.5
- Filter size: ø 82mm
- Dimensions (diameter x length): ø87.8mm x 131mm / ø3.5in. x 5.2in.
- Weight: 1,200g / 42.3oz.