Sony RX0 is a shock and waterproof camera with very compact dimensions that uses a Sony 1″ sensor to capture still images and video.
The new Sony RX0 comes with 1-inch type CMOS sensor, Zeiss Tessat T* 24mm (equivalent) f/4 lens, and 16fps continuous shooting speed. The camera is waterproof down to 10 meters, shockproof from 2m, and crushproof.
The RX0 will record 4K UHD video, as well as 40x super slow motion video at 1000fps, thanks to a stacked 15.3mp Exmor RS CMOS sensor. Video recording supports Picture Profile (S-Log2), and 4K Clean HDMI output.
The camera weighs 110g (including battery and memory card), and measures 59 x 40.5 x 29.8mm. It will start shipping in October with a price of $699. No information on US availability and pricing has been provided yet.
Sony RX0 1.0-type sensor ultra-compact camera with waterproof and shockproof design
Sony’s New RX0 Camera Combines Acclaimed RX Image Quality with an Ultra-Compact, Waterproof and Robust Design
Sony – a worldwide leader in digital imaging and the world’s largest image sensor manufacturer – has today announced new type of camera which offers entirely new imaging possibilities for today’s creators.
The RX0 (model name: DSC-RX0) marries the hallmark leading image quality of the Sony RX series with advanced photo and video capabilities, all compressed into a robust and ultra-compact body.
Designed to facilitate creative expression beyond current limitations, RX0 is equally adept at shooting still images or filming video on its own, as well as when included as part of a multi-camera set-up to maximize creativity. Its miniature dimensions and all-around versatility allow creators to approach unique photographic and videographic challenges in new ways, always with the assurance of high quality results.
Weighing just 3.9 oz10 and measuring approximately 2.38 in. x 1.63 in x 1.19 (WxDxH)11, the RX0 redefines how small and light a premium compact camera can be. The new model can be used as a standalone camera or as part of a multi-camera rig in any kind of shooting conditions including rain, underwater, space-limited, sandy or dusty environments and more.
Multiple RX0s can be linked together in a variety of ways to film and produce unique content like bullet-time, time-slice and many other unique styles of content creation. Sony’s wireless radio commander, the FA-WRC1M can be used to trigger up to fifteen12 RX0’s simultaneously, while Sony’s PlayMemories™ Mobile13 app allows up to five RX0 models to be connected and controlled wirelessly from any paired device. A wireless multi-camera shooting solution capable of connecting additional RX0 units when an access point is used14 is currently under development with a target release date of January 2018 via firmware update. For users looking for a more reliable wired connection, a camera control box is being developed and will also be released in January 2018.
The new RX0 camera features a 1.0-type stacked 15.3 MP6 Exmor RS CMOS image sensor, BIONZ X™ processor and a wide-angle ZEISS® Tessar T* 24mm F4 fixed lens to deliver high resolution and less distortion results for both RAW and JPEG stills and across all supported video formats. It is equipped with an Anti-Distortion Shutter that can shoot as fast as 1/32000 second, as well maximum burst shooting capability at up to 16 fps, ensuring that even fast moving objects are beautifully and accurately rendered. Its small size also makes it an ideal choice for casual shooting, street and travel photography and more.
The new portable RX0 is waterproof1,2 at depths of up to 10 meters (33 ft) on its own, and can be used at up to 100m15 (330 ft) depth when paired with the new MPK-HSR1 Housing. The camera is shockproof3,1 when dropped from up to 2 meters (6.5 ft) and crushproof4,1 to 200kg / 440lb / 2000N, making it durable enough to withstand tough shooting conditions including rain, sand, dust, snow and more, where traditional cameras simply cannot operate.
On the video front, the RX0 is packed with a variety of creative and powerful features including super slow motion capture8 at up to 960 frames per second, 4K clean HDMI output to an external recorder as well as MF assist and Peaking to adjust focus to exact preferences of the creator, as well as Preset Focus options which enhance control. The camera also offers Picture Profile options and S-Log2, as well Time Code / User Bit features, which are extremely useful for multi-camera shoots.
Full Range of Accessories
To maximize the potential of RX0, a host of new accessories are available that support new and different ways of shooting. These include the VCT-CGR1 Cage for increased system flexibility, the MPK-HSR1 Housing, enabling the RX0 to be taken down to depths of up to 100 meters underwater15, the CPT-R1 Cable Protector, VF-SPR1 Spare Lens Protector, VFA-305R1 Filter Adaptor Kit which includes filter adaptor, lens hood and MC protector, plus the NP-BJ1 Rechargeable Battery Pack and ACC-TRDCJ Accessory Kit.
Pricing and Availability
The new compact RX0 camera will ship in October 2017, priced at approximately $700 US / $900 CA.
The new camera and all compatible accessories will be sold at a variety of Sony authorized dealers throughout North America. More information can be found HERE.
A variety of exclusive stories and exciting new content shot with the new RX0 camera and other high-end Sony imaging products can also be found at www.alphauniverse.com, Sony’s community site built to educate, inspire and showcase all fans and customers of Sony imaging products.
Notes to Editors:
1. Depending on usage conditions and circumstances, no guarantee is made regarding damage to, malfunction of, or waterproof performance of this camera
2. Compliant with JIS/IEC protection levels (based on Sony tests). Shooting in depths of up to 10 meters (33 ft) is possible for up to 60 minutes (JIS: Japan Industrial Standards; IEC: International Electrotechnical Commission)
3. Capable of withstanding a fall of 2.0 meters (6.5 ft) from MIL-STD-810G C1 Method 516.7-Shock compliant 5 cm plywood (based on Sony tests)
4. Capable of withstanding a load of 200kg/440lb/2000N (based on Sony tests)
5. Approximate effective megapixels
6. 35mm equivalent
7. In Speed Priority Continuous mode. Focus and exposure settings fixed at first shot
8. Up to 960fps super slow motion can be recorded. Image quality approaches Full HD quality at 240fps in Quality Priority mode. Sound cannot be recorded when shooting slow motion and setting conditions of focus, exposure, focus area, frame rate and other settings are fixed when start shooting. Micro SDHC/ Micro SDXC memory card of Class 10 or higher is required
10. Approximate weight with battery and media included
11. Approximate dimensions
12. Wireless Radio Receiver FA-WRR1 and Multi Terminal Cable VMC-MM1 are required
13. For smartphone or Tablet. Latest version is required
14. Depending on the specifications of an access point, smartphone or tablet to be used as well as the radio wave environment of the installation location, the number of devices that can be connected will vary
15. Under water, the shortest focal distance is increased, causing the angle of field to be narrower