Nikon just announced two new COOLPIX cameras, the COOLPIX A100, a slim and lightweight stylish compact and the COOLPIX A10 model powered by common AA batteries.
The COOLPIX A100 features 20.1-megapixel image sensor, and is equipped with a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 26mm to telephoto 130mm (equivalents in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths.
The COOLPIX A10 offers a 16.1-megapixel image sensor, and is equipped with a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens supporting a range of focal lengths that begins at the wide-angle 26mm (equivalent in 35mm  format). The A10 is powered by readily available AA batteries, allowing users to respond flexibly should the batteries become exhausted on unexpected outings.
Nikon Coolpix A10 and A100 Digital Compact Cameras Announced
Nikon Coolpix A100 primary features:
- A slim and stylish body that can easily be taken anywhereWith a depth of approximately 19.8mm and a weight of approximately 119g, the COOLPIX A100 is extremely portable and small enough to easily fit in a purse or small bag.
- An effective pixel count of 20.1 megapixels and a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lensThe A100 has an effective pixel count of 20.1 megapixels, and is equipped with a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 26mm to telephoto 130mm (equivalents in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths. In addition, the camera is equipped with Dynamic Fine Zoom, which preserves resolution in the digital zoom range, enabling capture of high-quality photos at focal lengths up to approximately 260mm (equivalent in 35mm  format).
- Retouch functions that make photography more funThe A100 is equipped with Special Effects (8) that can be selected based on intent and applied with shooting, and the Creative Slider, which can be used to adjust brightness, vividness, and hue with shooting. Moreover, the camera also offers a number of advanced retouch functions, such as Glamour Retouch options (12) for easy application of a variety of effects to enhance human faces in photos after they are taken, and Quick Effects (6) that can be used to add a variety of effects to images.
- Additional Features
- Scene Auto Selector, with which the user need simply point the camera at the intended subject and the camera automatically applies the optimal scene mode
- Target Finding AF, with which the user need simply frame a photo, and the camera predicts the primary subject and immediately focuses on that subject
- Subject Tracking, which enables capture of beautiful, in-focus images, even when the subject is moving
- Smart Portrait mode, which can be used to capture beautiful portraits the instant the human subject smiles
Nikon Coolpix A10 primary features:
- An effective pixel count of 16.1 megapixels and a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lensThe A10 has an effective pixel count of 16.1 megapixels, and is equipped with a high pixel count CCD image sensor and a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 26mm to telephoto 130mm (equivalents in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths. It is capable of preserving memories in beautiful, high-quality images of everything from everyday snapshots to commemorative photos of special occasions. In addition, the ability to manually specify ISO sensitivity (ISO 80-1600) enables shooting, even in dark surroundings, with adjustment as intended.
- Powered by AA batteries readily available anywhere, even on vacationEven if batteries are exhausted on vacation or with an unexpected outing, adoption of AA batteries means that they can be quickly and easily replaced. When alkaline batteries are used, up to approximately 200 shots are possible. When lithium batteries are used, up to approximately 730 shots are possible.
- Scene Auto Selector mode for automatic capture of images as intendedBy simply pointing the camera at the intended subject, the camera identifies the subject and shooting conditions, and then automatically applies the optimal scene mode. Even those new to cameras or not confident in their ability to operate the camera can reliably capture beautiful photos of most scenes and subjects without adjusting camera settings.
- A variety of retouch functionsThe A10 is equipped with a number of advanced retouch functions that make photography more fun, including Special Effects (6) that can be selected and applied prior to shooting using a real-time preview in the camera monitor, and Quick Effects (10) that can be easily added to images after they are captured.
- An elegant body that not only makes photography easy, but has a beautiful designA smooth, curved form achieves an elegant appearance. A grip designed to fit comfortably in the hand effectively suppresses the camera shake that leads to blurred photos.