Blackmagic Design has announced the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, a Super-35 format, 4K-capable camera with global shutter for smooth panning and image motion.
The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is a complete self contained solution for shooting extremely high resolution Ultra HD 4K content! You get a large Super 35 size sensor with professional global shutter combined with precision EF mount optics, visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)™ file recording and 12 stops of dynamic range, as well as a 6G-SDI output! Monitor in high resolution on the built in touchscreen, plus change menus and enter metadata. Includes sun shield, power supply, carry strap, UltraScope waveform monitoring software and a full version of DaVinci Resolve software for Mac OS X and Windows.
Shoot Ultra HD TV or 4K feature films with the new Blackmagic Production Camera 4K. You get a large Super 35 size sensor with professional global shutter combined with precision EF mount optics, high quality visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)™ file recording for a complete self contained solution. The built in touchscreen lets you monitor, change settings and enter metadata directly on the camera!
It can capture footage in Apple ProRes 422 HQ or losslessly compressed CinemaDNG Raw – promising 12-stops of dynamic range. The camera is built around a Canon EF mount and an internal SSD recorder to cope with the data rates.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Price
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K – $3,995.00.
Where to Buy Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
|B&H Photo Video
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Specifications
- Large Super 35 Sensor: With a large Super 35 size sensor you get familiar framing and behavior from the lenses you already own! The sensor features a global shutter so you get perfect panning and with minimal crop factor you also get beautiful wide angle shots from your wide angle lenses.
- EF Compatible Lens Mount: With the EF compatible lens mount you can choose high quality optics that are designed to take advantage of the large Super 35 size sensor with minimal cropping. Use the world’s most amazing optics from leading lens crafters like Canon, Zeiss and more, with full electronic control!
- Capture 4K ProRes directly to a removable SSD!: With a built in SSD recorder, Blackmagic Production Camera 4K easily captures 4K in ProRes 422 (HQ) and compressed CinemaDNG files. You get a 4K camera designed from the ground up to be part of your post production workflow!
- Open File Formats: Unlike traditional cameras that record obscure file formats that take time to convert before you can start post production, the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K records directly to files that are compatible with your editing software.
- Beautifully Crafted Design: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K has been designed with portability and durability in mind. With standard connections and an internal battery inside a beautiful machined aluminum design, you can be confident that the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will easily handle the rigors of location work!
- Easy to Use Touchscreen: Use the capacitive touchscreen to access menus to change settings such as recording format, shutter angle and more! Double tap the screen to zoom into the image for fast and accurate focus. Tap once on the screen to display the metadata entry page where you can enter information such as shot number.
- Dynamic Range: With 12 stops of dynamic range you get amazing looking images beyond those of regular video cameras or even the highest end broadcast cameras. All this dynamic range is captured into ProRes or CinemaDNG files at 4K resolution, so images retain a beautiful film look.
- No need to buy expensive custom cables!: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K uses standard connections, so you never need to source custom cables! It includes a 6G-SDI connection for Ultra HD resolution or down converted HD output over a single SDI cable.
|Effective Sensor Size
|21.12mm x 11.88mm (Super 35).
|3840 x 2160
|3840 x 2160, 1920×1080.
|3840 x 2160p23.98, 3840 x 2160p24, 3840 x 2160p25, 3840 x 2160p29.97, 3840 x 2160p30, 1920 x 1080p23.98, 1920 x 1080p24, 1920 x 1080p25, 1920 x 1080p29.97, 1920 x 1080p30, 1920 x 1080p50i, 1920 x 1080p59.94i.
|Focus button turns on peaking
|Iris button automatically adjusts the lens iris settings so no pixel is clipped in film mode. Scene average auto exposure in video mode.
|EF and ZE mount compatible with electronic iris control.
|5″ and 800 x 480 resolution.
|Integrated LCD capacitive touchscreen.
|Automatic camera data and user data such as shot number, filenames and keywords.
|On screen touch menus and physical buttons for recording and transport control.
|Integrated stereo microphone.
|Integrated mono speaker
|3 x 1/4″-20 UNC thread mounting points on top of camera. 1 x 1/4″-20 UNC thread tripod mount with locator pin.
|Removable 2.5″ SSD.
|Mac OS Extended or exFAT format. SSDs can be formatted on any Mac or use Mediafour MacDrive (not included) on a Windows PC.
|880 Mbps using Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).
|Compressed Recording Formats
|Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080, visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080 with either Film or Video Dynamic Range.
|SDI Video Output
|1 x 6G-SDI 10-bit 4:2:2 with choice of Film or Video Dynamic Range.
|Analog Audio Input
|2 x 1/4″ jacks for professional balanced analog audio, switchable between mic and line levels.
|Analog Audio Output
|1 x 3.5mm stereo jack headphone output.
|SDI Audio Outputt
|2 channels in 6G-SDI 48 kHz and 24 bit
|1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, Iris Control and Focus.
|Thunderbolt port for capture of HD video and audio. USB 2.0 mini B port for software updates and configuration.
|SDI Audio Sampling
|48 kHz and 24-bit
|DaVinci Resolve Lite grading software DVD for Mac OS X and Windows. Blackmagic Media Express software. DiskSpeed Test.
|Supported Software Applications
|Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Nuke, Photoshop, Pro Tools, DaVinci Resolve, UltraScope, Media Express, Disk Speed Test.
|Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.
Windows 7 or later.
|11V-30V DC port for external battery power or use included.
|Integrated Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery. 11V-30V DC port for external battery power or use included 12V AC adapter.
|Approximately 90 minutes.
|Battery Charge Time
|Approximately 2 hours when not in use.
|128mm Wide x 113mm Thick x 166mm Height / 5″ x 4.5″ x 6.50
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Release Date
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Product images
Blackmagic Design Announces Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
NAB 2013, Las Vegas, USA – April 8, 2013 – Blackmagic Design today announced Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, a new high resolution 4K digital film camera with an innovative large Super 35 size sensor with professional global shutter, combined with precision EF mount optics and high quality Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file recording for only US$3,995.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will be demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design NAB 2013 booth at #SL218.
The latest high end televisions and video projectors support Ultra HD, which is four times the resolution of regular HD video. The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K shoots to high quality compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ) files in 4K, giving customers a complete solution to shoot the most amazing high resolution music videos, episodic television production, television commercials, sports, documentaries, news stories, interviews and feature films.
The new Blackmagic Production Camera 4K also supports the new 6G-SDI video connection out so it can be used on live video production.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K has been designed with portability and durability in mind. With standard connections and an internal battery packed inside a beautiful machined aluminum design, the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will easily handle the rigors of location work. A high resolution LCD display shows settings such as shutter speed, color temperature, aperture and timecode in an easy to read status strip. The built in capacitive touchscreen offers direct access to menus with a touch of the finger and allows changing settings such as recording format, shutter angle and more. The touchscreen also allows users to enter important metadata that is compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
With a large Super 35 size sensor, cinematographers get familiar framing and behavior from the lenses they already own. This camera sensor features a global shutter and its large size allows minimal crop factor so cinematographers get nice wide angle shots from their wide angle lenses. When working in HD customers can use the high resolution images to reframe and zoom into shots without any quality loss.
With the built in EF compatible lens mount there is a wide choice of optics to take advantage of the large Super 35 size sensor without cropping. Cinematographers get the choice of the world’s most amazing optics from leading lens crafters like Canon, Zeiss and more, with full electronic control. The EF compatible lens mount means customers are not locked into a specific lens and even professional cinema lenses with EF mount with professional rails and follow focus accessories can be used.
The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K easily captures 4K in compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ) using the built in high speed SSD recorder. Once the shoot has wrapped, the disk can be connected to a computer for editing or color correction of the shots straight from the disk, which can be formatted in either HFS+ or ExFAT for Mac and Windows compatibility. In addition to the regular CinemaDNG RAW format, Blackmagic Design will also implement a QuickTime wrapper for the open standard CinemaDNG and companion codec, allowing the camera to record in a format that allows RAW editing in popular editing software.
The wide dynamic range of the Super 35 sized sensor can be mapped into the quantizing range of the file so you can color grade shots to allow greater detail in highlights and shadows. When working fast, the customer can also record to regular Rec. 709 video files.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K uses standard connections, so customers do not need to worry about sourcing custom cables. The camera features 6G-SDI output that can be down-converted to HD or used for amazing quality Ultra HD video. In addition, the device includes a built-in Thunderbolt port and UltraScope software for real time waveform monitoring. For audio you get 1/4” jack mic/line inputs plus 12V to 30V DC input, a 3.5mm headphone socket and LANC remote control. And with a built-in uncompressed audio recorder you can eliminate post audio synching altogether.
“Customers have been asking us to design a camera with global shutter and a large sensor. With the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K we have delivered that, plus the high resolution needed for the latest Ultra HD production work,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “This is a very exciting camera and it produces amazing looking pictures that we are sure everyone will love. It’s going to allow Ultra HD programming to be simple and easy!”
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Key Features
- Large high resolution 4K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality EF mount lenses.
- Built in SSD recorder allows long duration recording onto solid state disks.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as Apple ProRes and compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Features all standard connections, including jack mic/line audio in, 6G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, Thunderbolt, LANC remote control and standard DC 12 power connection.
- Built in touch screen LCD for camera settings and metadata entry compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Includes UltraScope software for live scopes via the built in Thunderbolt connection.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve color grading software.
Availability and Price
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will be available in July for US$3,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.