D5200 lets you shoot pictures and video from more perspectives using a vari-angle LCD monitor. You can also render distinctive-looking Special Effects in real time and send your images quickly to smart devices using the optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter.
Nikon D5200 video recording 1920 × 1080 60i/50i, with full-time-servo AF for smooth, precise reproduction of fast-moving subjects in Full HD video. 5fps continuous shooting, and experience the tack-sharp accuracy of an amazingly powerful, high-density 39-point AF system.
Expect incredibly sharp pictures and video from a cutting-edge image sensor with a resolution of 24.1 effective megapixels. Enjoy faithful, vibrant colors from the state-of-the-art EXPEED 3 image-processing engine and 2016-pixel RGB sensor.
Nikon D5200 Features
- 24.1MP DX-format CMOS sensor: Capture beautifully detailed photos and movies. You can crop images without losing any detail – big prints of your photographs look superb.
- Vari-angle monitor: Flip it, tilt it, turn it – explore your creativity with this versatile swivel monitor. Capture unique shots, including great self-portraits, from any angle.
- Inspire yourself with D-Movie: Record finely detailed Full HD video clips you’llwant to share. Take advantage of smooth recording (up to 60i) and a built-in stereo microphone.
- Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a: Share images directly from the D5200 to a smartphone or tablet that runs on Android or iOS*, or control the camera remotely via your device.
- EXPEED 3: Nikon’s fast and powerful image processing engine provides high-speed operation, remarkably clear images with excellent color reproduction, and enhanced movie recording.
- High ISO (100-6400, extendable to 25600 equivalent): Enjoy the freedom that great low-light performance brings. Capture detailed images in dark situations and clear shots of fast-moving subjects.
- 39-point AF system: With 39 focus points for superior accuracy. Advanced 3D subject tracking maintains focus on even the smallest subjects, however unpredictable their movements may be.
- 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor: Delivers precise metering for exact exposures and sends data to the Scene Recognition System, which optimizes auto exposure, autofocus and auto white balance.
- Effects mode: Create distinctive photos and movies using a range of special effects, including Selective Color and Miniature. You can view your chosen effect in real time as you shoot.
Nikon D5200 Technical Specifications
|Type of Camera||Single-lens reflex digital camera|
|Lens Mount||Nikon F bayonet mount|
|Effective angle of view||Nikon DX format; focal length equivalent to approx. 1.5x that of lenses with FX-format angle of view|
|Effective Pixels||24.1 Million|
|Image Sensor||23.5 × 15.6 mm CMOS sensor|
|Total Pixels||24.71 million|
|Dust-Reduction System||Image Sensor Cleaning, Airflow Control System, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX 2 software required)|
|Image Size (Pixels)||6000 × 4000 (L), 4496 × 3000 (M), 2992 × 2000 (S)|
|File Format||NEF (RAW): 14 bit, compressed
JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8) or basic (approx. 1:16) compression
NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
|Picture Control System||Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape; selected Picture Control can be modified; storage for custom Picture Controls|
|Storage Media||SD (Secure Digital) and UHS-I compliant SDHC and SDXC memory cards|
|File System||Compliant with DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format)
EXIF 2.3 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentamirror single-lens reflex viewfinder|
|Viewfinder Frame Coverage||Approx. 95% horizontal and 95% vertical|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.78x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1.0 )|
|Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment||-1.7 to +0.7 m|
|Focusing Screen||Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screen|
|Reflex Mirror||Quick-return type|
|Lens Aperture||Instant return, electronically controlled|
|Compatible Lenses||Autofocus is available with AF-S and AF-I lenses; autofocus is not available with other type G and D lenses, AF lenses (IX NIKKOR and lenses for the F3AF are not supported),and AI-P lenses; non-CPU lenses can be used in mode M, but the camera exposure meter will not function The electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster|
|Shutter type||Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane|
|Shutter Speed||1/4000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, bulb, time (requires optional ML-L3 Remote Control)|
|Flash Sync Speed||X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower|
|Release Modes||single frame, continuous low speed, continuous high speed, self-timer, delayed remote; ML-L3, quick-response remote; ML-L3, quiet shutter release); interval timer photography supported|
|Top Continuous Shooting Speed||Up to 3 fps (L) or 5 fps (H)|
|Self-timer||2 s, 5 s, 10 s, 20 s; 1 to 9 exposures|
|Exposure Metering System||TTL exposure metering using 2016-pixel RGB sensor|
|Metering Method||Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8-mm circle in center of frame; Spot: Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point|
|Metering Range||0 to 20 EV (3D color matrix or center-weighted metering)
2 to 20 EV (spot metering)
|Exposure Meter Coupling||CPU|
|Exposure Modes||Auto modes (auto; auto [flash off]); programmed auto with flexible program (); shutter-priority auto (); aperture-priority auto (); manual (); scene modes ( portrait; landscape; child; sports; close up; night portrait; night landscape; party/indoor; beach/snow; sunset; dusk/dawn; pet portrait; candlelight; blossom; autumn colors; food); special effects modes ( night vision; color sketch; miniature effect; selective color; silhouette; high key; low key|
|Exposure Compensation||±5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV|
|Exposure Bracketing||3 frames ±2EV in 1/3 steps|
|Exposure Lock||Luminosity locked at detected value with button|
|ISO Sensitivity||ISO 100 to 6400 in steps of 1/3 EV; can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.7, 1 or 2 EV (ISO 25600 equivalent) above ISO 6400; auto ISO sensitivity control available|
|Active D-Lighting||Auto, extra high, high, normal, low, off|
|ADL Bracketing||2 exposures|
|Autofocus System||Nikon Multi-CAM 4800DX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, 39 focus points (including 9 cross-type sensors), and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5 to 3 m/1 ft 8 in. to 9 ft 10 in.)|
|Detection range||-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F)|
|Lesn Servo||Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status
Manual focus (M): Electronic rangefinder can be used
|Focus Point||Can be selected from 39 or 11 focus points|
|AF-area modes||Single-point AF, 9-, 21- or 39-point dynamic-area AF, 3D-tracking, auto-area AF|
|Focus lock||Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing button|
|Guide Number||Approx. 39/12, 43/13 with manual flash (ft/m, ISO 100, 68°F/20°C)|
|Flash Control||TTL: i-TTL flash control using 2016-pixel RGB sensor is available with built-in flash and SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600 or SB-400; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix and center-weighted metering, standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR with spot metering|
|Flash Modes||Auto, auto with red-eye reduction, auto slow sync, auto slow sync with red-eye reduction, fill-flash, red-eye reduction, slow sync, slow sync with red-eye reduction, rear-curtain with slow sync, rear-curtain sync, off|
|Flash Compensation||-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV|
|Flash-ready indicator||Lights when built-in flash or optional flash unit is fully charged; flashes after flash is fired at full output|
|Accessory Shoe||Yes with sync and data contacts and safety lock|
|Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)||Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-910, SB-900, SB-800 or SB-700 as a master flash or SU-800 as commander; Flash Color Information Communication supported with all CLS-compatible flash units|
|White Balance||Auto, incandescent, fluorescent (7 types), direct sunlight, flash, cloudy, shade, preset manual, all except preset manual with fine-tuning|
|White Balance Bracketing||3 shots in steps of 1|
|Live View Shooting||Yes|
|Live View Lens servo||Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F); Manual focus (M)|
|Life View AF-area mode||Face-priority AF, wide-area AF, normal-area AF, subject-tracking AF|
|Live View Scene Auto Selector||Auto mode|
|Movie Metering||TTL exposure metering using main image sensor
Metering method Matrix
|Movie Frame size (pixels) and frame rate||1920 x 1080, 60i (59.94 fields/s)/50i (50 fields/s)*, high/normal
1920 x 1080, 30p (progressive)/25p/24p, high/normal
1280 x 720, 60p/50p, high/normal
640 x 424, 30p/25p, high/normal
|Movie File Format||MOV|
|Movie Video Compression||H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding|
|Movie Audio recording format||Linear PCM|
|Audio recording device||Built-in monaural or external stereo microphone; sensitivity adjustable|
|Audio Maximum length||29 min. 59 s (3 min. in miniature effect mode)|
|Audio ISO sensitivity||ISO 100 to 6400; can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.7, 1, or 2 EV (ISO 25600 equivalent) above ISO 6400|
|Monitor Size||Super Density 3.0 in. diagonal|
|Monitor Resolution||921,000 Dots|
|Monitor Angle of View||170-degree wide-viewing angle|
|Monitor Adjustments||Brightness, 7 levels|
|Playback Functions||Full-frame and thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images or calendar) playback with playback zoom, movie playback, photo and/or movie slide shows, histogram display, highlights, auto image rotation, and image comment (up to 36 characters|
|Interface: USB||Hi-Speed USB|
|Video output||NTSC, PAL|
|HDMI output||Type C mini-pin HDMI connector|
|Accessory terminal||Wireless remote controller: WR-R10 (available separately) Remote cord: MC-DC2 (available separately) GPS unit: GP-1 (available separately)|
|Audio input||Stereo mini-pin jack (3.5-mm diameter)|
|Supported languages||Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian|
|Battery||One EN-EL14 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery|
|AC adapter||EH-5b AC Adapter; requires EP-5A Power Connector (available separately)|
|Tripod socket||1/4 in. (ISO 1222)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 129 x 98 x 78 mm/5.1 x 3.9 x 3.1 in.|
|Weight||Approx. 555 g/1 lb 3.6 oz with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 505 g/1 lb 1.8 oz (camera body only)|
Nikon introduces the latest D-SLR to its mid-range DX-format line-up, the 24.1 megapixel Nikon D5200, designed to bring out your creative side. From beautiful still photos to smooth Full HD movies, this camera empowers your freedom of expression, letting you capture your own unique view of the world.
Marina Gurevich, Product Manager for Nikon Europe, says: “The inspiring Nikon D5200 is ideal for those who are passionate about photography and want to experiment with the camera’s superior features. The impressive image and movie quality alongside a versatile vari-angle LCD monitor lets users unlock their creative potential.”
Breath-taking image quality
The third camera in its series, following the D5000 and the D5100, the Nikon D5200 offers a massive leap in image-quality. In addition to the 24.1-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor for finely detailed images, the new EXPEED 3 image processor provides high-speed operation and excellent, rich colour reproduction – as well as enhanced movie recording. The high ISO sensitivity (100-6400 which is extendable to 25600) delivers brilliant shots in dark or poorly lit environments as well as producing clear images of fast moving subjects.
The Nikon D5200 shares an AF system, metering sensor and scene recognition with the Nikon D7000 series, giving this camera a new level of performance and much enhanced image quality. The superior accuracy of the 39-point AF system and nine cross-type sensors delivers razor sharp images by focusing precisely on the subject you choose. Meanwhile, the 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor provides precise data to the camera’s Scene Recognition System, which optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released.
Image creations from any angle
The Nikon D5200’s versatile 7.5cm (3-in) vari-angle LCD monitor provides the ultimate freedom and flexibility to take beautiful shots and movies from virtually any position. You can flip, tilt or turn the swivel monitor to get really creative with your angles. In addition, the Nikon D5200 is an intelligently designed lightweight camera, with clear menus and superior ergonomics, making it a pleasure to maneuver and shoot with.
Wireless connectivity to share your creations
Wirelessly transmitting images from your camera to an Apple™ or Android™ smart device is possible by using the optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter. This means you can share images that you are proud of with friends via social networks and email for instant reactions. It is even possible to control your camera remotely from your smart device to help you take beautiful shots without disturbing your subjects.
Distinctive HD movies
Effortlessly alternate between shooting stills and Full HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording at the flick of a switch. The camera’s subject tracking of moving objects in three dimensions, with full time servo AF (AF-F), ensures focus of moving objects throughout filming. Adding to that, creating movies to be proud of can be achieved with in-movie editing and the camera’s built-in stereo microphone.
Inspirational Effect and Scene modes
Be even more original with the Nikon D5200 Effects mode. A range of seven special effects: Selective Colour, Miniature, High and Low Key, Silhouette, Colour Sketch and Night Vision can be applied in real time to images and movies through Live View so you can see what your final creation will look like before you shoot it. In addition, in-camera High Dynamic Range (HDR) and D-lighting capture detailed images of high-contrast scenes, increasing creative possibilities. You can also select from 16 different Scene modes – they optimize the camera settings, such as shutter speed, ISO and aperture – to the situation you are shooting. It is great for a quick shot or if you are still learning about D-SLR photography.
Nikon D5200 fey features:
- DX-format, 24.1 megapixel CMOS image sensor with EXPEED 3 for exceptional quality
- Vari-angle LCD monitor: View life at a unique angle with a high resolution, 7.5cm (3.0-in), 921k dot vari-angle screen
- Compatible with Wireless Mobile Adaptor WU-1a to transmit images from the camera to Apple™ or Android™ smart device and remote shooting
- High ISO (100-6400) extendable to 25600: keeps the detail with low noise in low-light situations
- Razor-sharp 39-point AF system with nine cross-type sensors in the center. Offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame
- 2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor delivers highly accurate metering for exact exposures and provides precise data to the camera’s Scene Recognition System
- Scene Recognition System optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released
- Continuous shooting at 5fps: so you do not miss that fast-moving action shot
- High dynamic range (HDR): Gives detailed shots of high-contrast scenes by combining two shots taken within a single shutter release
- Active D-Lighting: Retains details in highlights and shadows for well-balanced images, even if the subject is moving
- D-Movie: Full (1080p) HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording and a built-in stereo microphone
- D-Movie AF modes: Live View autofocus works when shooting movie clips, keeping subjects in sharp focus
- In-built stereo-microphone for improved sound quality
- Updated new generation GUI Design
- 16 Scene modes: Automatically adjusts camera settings, including Picture Controls and Active D-Lighting, for optimal results.
- Effects mode – seven effects including Selective Colour and Miniature, which can be applied in pre-shoot, for more creative movies and stills
- Compatible with WR-R10 Wireless Remote transceiver and WR-T10 Wireless Remote transmitter that let you control key camera functions from a distance
- GPS compatible: Records the exact location of the camera when a picture is taken by using the optional GP-1 unit
- NIKKOR lenses: take advantage of Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR lenses and make the most of the camera’s 24-megapixel resolution. Capture photos with vivid colour and striking contrast. Shoot movies with crisp detail or experiment with cinematic effectsAvailable in three colours: black, red and bronze
- Lightweight body (505g) with an intelligent design and superior ergonomics
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".