Nikon officially announces the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena lens. The US price of the lens is $2,499.95 and shipping starts in mid-October. The Nikkor Z 135mm f/1.8 S ‘Plena’ is Nikon’s second named Z-mount lens, following in the footsteps of 2019’s Nikkor Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct.
The name “Plena” is derived from the Latin term plenum, which denotes the state of a space being completely full. This name was chosen to reflect the lens’ ability to fulfill the user’s creative vision with superior light gathering capability, beautiful, well-rounded bokeh and outstanding sharpness and clarity throughout the frame. Following in the footsteps of the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct, this distinctively brilliant portrait prime is only the second Nikon lens to be granted a dedicated name, with the hope that it will be highly regarded by users for many years to come.
Primary Features of the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena
- Beautiful, well-rounded bokeh is achieved throughout the entire frame, while supporting a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture.
- Eleven-blade diaphragm and larger rear element contribute to exceptionally circular bokeh for dreamlike expression that accentuates the three-dimensionality of the subject with smooth gradation.
- The large amount of peripheral light at the f/1.8 maximum aperture ensures a consistently bright image all the way to the extreme corners of the frame for a sense of transparency and brilliance in images.
- The outstanding sharpness and clarity, characteristic of S-Line lenses, enables rendering of the finest textures in hair and skin tones, while excellent point-light reproduction capabilities achieve brilliant night and urban landscape imagery.
- A multi-focusing system uses stepping motors (STMs) for fast, accurate and quiet autofocus drive for still images and video.
- In addition to Meso Amorphous Coat, the most effective anti-reflection coating in Nikon history that prevents reflections regardless of the direction from which light enters the lens, Nikon’s original ARNEO Coat is also used to effectively reduce instances of ghosting and flaring.
- Optical construction consists of 16 elements in 14 groups, with four ED elements, one aspherical element and one SR lens element.
- A design that takes video recording into consideration with quiet operation and stable exposure.
- The lens body features two lens Fn buttons, to which a wide variety of functions can be assigned. One is positioned on the top of the lens enabling smooth adjustment of settings even when shooting in vertical orientation.
- The versatile 82mm filter attachment size enables the use of various lens filters designed to satisfy users’ creative intent.
- Designed to achieve superior dust and drip-resistant performance.
- Well balanced with a dimension of 3.9″x 5.5″, and a weight of 2.2 lbs /995 g.
Price and Availability
The new NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena will be available in mid-October for a suggested retail price of $2499.95.* For more information about the latest Nikon products, including the vast collection of NIKKOR Z lenses and the entire line of Z series cameras, please visit Nikonusa.com.