Tamron announces the development of a new high-speed telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras, the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056). This lens will be released in the Spring of 2020.
Tamron also has three compact F2.8 prime lenses for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. These ‘Di III OSD M1:2’ lenses come in three focal lengths: a 20mm f/2.8 Di III OSD M1:2, 24mm f/2.8 Di III OSD M1:2, and 35mm f/2.8 Di III OSD M1:2 lens. Check availability at Adorama and B&H.
Developed under the concept of “making high-speed zoom lenses user-friendly,” Model A056 features a compact and lightweight design, an ideal match for full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The 67mm filter diameter is the same as all other Tamron lenses in this series. The optical design includes several specialized glass elements that contribute to the lens’s superb imaging performance and its very short 33.5 in MOD (Minimum Object Distance) expands overall versatility. The lens adopts Tamron’s newly developed VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism that produces a quiet, quick autofocus drive.
Other features that support a great shooting experience include a Moisture-Resistant Construction helpful for outdoor shooting and Fluorine Coating for easy maintenance. In addition, Model A056 is fully compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF. This new model joins the 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046) and the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) and brings Tamron’s total of F/2.8 zoom lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras to three.
Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Specifications
- Comfortably compact (149mm / 5.9 in) and light weight (815g / 28.7 oz).
- 67mm filter diameter, same as all other Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras.
- Superb optical performance and MOD of 5 in. for a broader range of photographic versatility.
- Extremely quiet and fast newly developed VXD linear motor focus mechanism.
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating contribute to a comfortable, user friendly photographic experience.
- Compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF.
* Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.