Olympus has a patent filed back in 2015 that describes the Olympus 500mm f/4.0 IS lens. From the interview, “A super telephoto lens that reaches 1000mm in full frame equivalent is under development, and it will reach 2000mm with a 2x teleconverter.”
As you might remember back in June, Olympus has officially announced the 2X teleconverter MC-20 (Adorama | B&H) that is compatible with the company’s 40-150mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 Pro lenses. The M.Zuiko Digital 2x Teleconverter MC-20 will also compatible with the 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS Pro which is currently under development.
You can check out the recap from the interview below which mentions the Olympus 500mm MFT lens.
- In 2018 we couldn’t launch new products because of the factory relocation
- The policy is now to announce multiple lenses every year from this year.
- We will continue to launch cameras in three areas: entry, middle and high end level.
- A super telephoto lens that reaches 1000mm in FF terms is under development, and it will reach 2000mm with a 2x teleconverter
- True value of MTF lies in scenes where mobility, image stabilization, and tripods cannot be used. It is possible to provide photos with a high degree of freedom that cannot be achieved by other companies.
- E-M1X has introduced many of the world’s first technologies.
- The PEN series has been highly acclaimed by women. The point is how to fight in the mature mirrorless market.
- We are considering automating lens production. There are many areas that require high-precision work and are difficult to replace with robots. Combination with hand action is also difficult.
Also join the Olympus Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Olympus photography.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".