Nikon announces new AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm F/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Super Telephoto Zoom lens at CES 2018.
The built-in 1.4x teleconverter boosts the focal range to 252-560mm with a corresponding 1-stop reduction in maximum aperture. The lens features 1 fluorite and 8 extra-low-dispersion elements plus fluorine, Nano Crystal and Super Integrated coatings. It has 9 rounded aperture blades, a Vibration Reduction system that reduces shake by up to 4 stops and a minimum focus distance of 2 meters.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC 1.4 FL ED VR Lens Officially Announced
- Mount Type: Type E AF-S lens with built-in CPU and F mount (1.4x TC built-in)
- Focal Length Range: 180 – 400 mm With built-in TC 252-560 mm
- Zoom Ratio: 2.2 x
- Maximum Aperture: f/ 4 With built-in TC f/5.6
- Minimum Aperture: f/ 32 With built-in TC f/45
- Format: FX/35mm
- Maximum Angle of View (DX-format): 9°
- Minimum Angle of View (DX-format): 4°
- Maximum Angle of View (DX-format) with built-in Teleconverter: 6°20′
- Minimum Angle of View (DX-format) with built-in Teleconverter: 2°50′
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format): 13°40′
- Minimum Angle of View (FX-format): 6°10′
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format) with built-in Teleconverter: 9°50′
- Minimum Angle of View (FX-format) with built-in Teleconverter: 4°30′
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.25x (at 400 mm) 0.36x (at 560 mm)
- Lens Elements: 27
- Built-in Teleconverter Lens Elements: 8
- Lens Groups: 19
- Built-in Teleconverter Lens Groups: 5
- Compatible Format(s): FX DX
- VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization: Yes
- Diaphragm Blades: 9
- Distance Information: Yes
- Nano Crystal Coat: Yes
- ED Glass Elements: 8
- Fluorite Elements: 1
- Fluorine Coat: Yes
- Super Integrated Coating: Yes
- Autofocus: Yes
- AF-S (Silent Wave Motor): Yes
- Internal Focusing: Yes
- Minimum Focus Distance: 6.6 ft. (2.0 m) from focal plane
- Focus Mode: Manual, Manual/Auto, Auto/Manual
- E-type: Yes
- Filter Size: 40.5 mm
- Accepts Filter Type: Drop-in filter
- Compatible with Nikon AF-S Teleconverters: Yes
- Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 5.0 in. (128.0 mm) x 14.2 in. (362.5 mm)
- Approx. Weight: 123.4 oz. (3,500 g)
Nikon Announces New AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm F/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Super Telephoto Zoom Lens at CES 2018
LAS VEGAS – Today at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Nikon Inc. announced the new AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR super-telephoto zoom lens, which is ideally suited for photographing sports and wildlife with astounding speed and clarity. This professional level FX-format lens is more versatile than ever, and has been updated with the newest NIKKOR lens technologies including Nikon’s first ever built-in teleconverter and an advanced optical formula to enhance performance and minimize weight.
“This lens is a great example of how Nikon continues to push the boundaries of innovation and what’s possible with pro-level optics and high-end imaging equipment,” said Kosuke Kawaura, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc.
Popular Pro-Level Lens Gets Even More Versatile
This new NIKKOR lens is a professional super-telephoto zoom lens, which is even more versatile with an extended wide range of 180-400mm, and a constant f/4 aperture to easily isolate a subject from the sidelines, even in challenging light. This is also the first NIKKOR lens to include a built-in 1.4X teleconverter, allowing photographers to seamlessly swap to a 252-560mm1 (FX-format) focal range. The teleconverter is engaged at the flick of a switch, and is easily operated with a single finger while looking through the viewfinder. When used on the Nikon D500 and other DX-format DSLRs, the focal length is the equivalent of 270-600mm (378-840mm with teleconverter engaged).
Whether capturing fast-moving winter sports on the slopes or elusive wildlife at a distance, photographers can shoot with confidence from this high performance NIKKOR lens. The new 180-400mm f/4 is optimized for high-speed capture, and features an electromagnetic diaphragm, helping to create smooth and consistent exposures while shooting high-speed bursts of images. What’s more, the AF tracking algorithm controlling the motor drive has been enhanced to increase tracking performance of fast moving subjects. When using cameras equipped with Nikon’s advanced 153-point AF system (D5, D500, D850), the outer row of AF points are activated as cross-type sensors to significantly enhance the AF coverage throughout the frame.2
Enhanced Performance with the Addition of New Technology
The lens now uses a fluorite element, which contributes to improved balance while minimizing weight. To further enhance handling and agility, the lens has adopted a new ball-bearing tripod collar ring to create a seamless transition from shooting horizontal to vertical composition. The VR mechanism offers a normal and sports mode, with up to four stops3 of compensation to help create sharp images, even when handheld.
The lens construction includes the use of durable magnesium alloy for weight reduction, while the lens is also sealed against dust and moisture. A fluorine coating is also used to help repel water droplets and dirt.
The optical formula of the lens uses eight Extra Low Dispersion (ED) elements, doubling the amount of ED elements used by its predecessor, the NIKKOR 200-400mm. These help to provide extremely sharp and detailed images and 4K UHD / 1080p video, and is ideally mated to high resolution Nikon DSLR cameras. Nikon’s exclusive Nano Crystal Coat is used to effectively suppress instances of ghosting and flare.
Price and Availability
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR lens will be available in March 2018 for a suggested retail price of $12,399.954. For more information on this NIKKOR lens and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.