Ricoh Theta S 360 Degree Camera Officially Announced
Ricoh has unveiled the latest version of its 360-degree camera, the Ricoh Theta S, the newest model in their Theta series of spherical cameras.
Ricoh Theta S features two 12MP 1/2.3″ sensors and is capable of 14MP 360-degree still images, an improvement over the previous model’s 6MP images. Brighter F2.0 lenses, 1080/30p video and integration with Google’s new Street View app are all on board.
Spherical images can also be uploaded to theta360.com, shared via Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, and posted to Google Maps, Google+ and YouTube’s360°Channel.
Ricoh Theta S 360 Degree Camera Officially Announced
Ricoh Theta S 360 Degree Camera Price and Availability
The new Ricoh Theta S 360 degree camera is available for a price tag of $346,95 and shipping will start on November 10th.
Ricoh Theta S 360 Degree Camera Specifications
- Record 360° Spherical Photos/Videos
- 2 x 12MP 1/2.3″ Sensors, 14.4MP Output
- Twin Lens System, f/2 Maximum Aperture
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
- Live Streaming via USB or HDMI
- Auto, Shutter Speed & ISO Priority Modes
- ISO 1600 & Manual Exposure up to 1 Min.
- Built-In Wi-Fi for Live View and Control
- 8GB Internal Memory
- Google Maps/Street View Compatible
Ricoh Theta S 360 Degree Camera Features
- Unique twin lens design incorporates lenses on the front and back of the camera to enable full 360° spherical imagery to be recorded with each exposure. Each lens has a maximum aperture of f/2 to benefit working in low-light conditions, and each lens has a fixed focus range of 3.9″ to infinity to render nearly all subjects in focus.
- Dual 12MP 1/2.3″ image sensors provide an interpolated 14.4MP output in order to produce stills with a 5376 x 2699 equirectangular resolution.
- Full HD movie recording is supported at 1080p30 (16 Mbps), as well as HD 720p15 (6 Mbps), and live streaming is possible via the HDMI type-D or micro USB connections at 1080p30, 720p30, 720p15, or 480p30 frame rates. When saving video to the internal 8GB memory, up to 25 minute clips or 4GB of video can be recorded at a time.
- Auto, Shutter Priority, and ISO Priority exposure modes are available for stills shooting, and auto exposure mode is available for video recording or live streaming.
- A sensitivity range of ISO 100-1600 is available for all recording modes to benefit working in a variety of lighting conditions.
- When shooting stills, shutters speeds ranging from 1/6400 sec. to 1 minute are possible. Speeds up to 1/8000 sec. are possible in video modes.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to connect to a mobile device or tablet in order to gain a live view image, adjust camera settings, and wirelessly transfer stills and video for instant sharing online.
- Spherical imagery can be uploaded to the Theta 360 website and shared to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr or posted to Google Maps, Google+, and YouTube. The Theta S employs the Google-supported Open Spherical Camera API for full compatibility with Google services, including the ability to publish your photo spheres on the Google Street View app for others to explore.
- Integrated lithium-ion battery offers approximately 260 shots per charge, and it can be charged via the included USB cable.
- Internal 8GB memory can store approximately 1600 full-resolution stills or up to approximately 65 minutes of 1080p video.
Ricoh Unveils Industry’s Most Advanced Fully Spherical Portable Camera: RICOH THETA S
Featuring faster lenses, enlarged image sensor and full HD video capabilities
TOKYO and BERLIN, September 3, 2015 — Ricoh announced today the release of the RICOH THETA S, the newest model in the RICOH THETA series of spherical cameras that capture 360-degree scenes surrounding the user. Unveiled today in Berlin at IFA, the world’s largest consumer electronics show, the camera features extra-high resolution, fully spherical photos and videos in one simple shot, a live preview function and even greater compatibility with social media platforms.
The RICOH THETA S, which retains the lightweight portability of the current model—the RICOH THETA m15—captures high-resolution spherical images of up to nearly 14 megapixels. It can also record spherical video in full HD (1920 x 1080*1 pixels at 30fps) with a maximum recording time of 25 minutes. The better quality images are enabled by an enlarged image sensor and fast F2.0 lenses to allow more light through Ricoh’s proprietary ultra-small twin-lens folded-optical system.
Also, superior image processing technology and bulb mode for long exposures produce spherical still images with less visual static, even in low-light settings.
Spherical images can be uploaded to theta360.com, shared via Facebook™, Twitter™ and Tumblr, and posted to Google Maps™, Google+™ and YouTube™360°Channel. The application program interface (API) for RICOH THETA S is based on Google-supported Open Spherical Camera API for compatibility with Google’s services.
Coinciding with the launch of the RICOH THETA S, Google Maps today introduced the new Google Street View app that allows you to capture and publish your photo spheres instantly to Google Maps for people all over the world to explore. The app also offers the ability to shoot photo spheres and to connect to spherical cameras. This new capability to connect to spherical cameras makes it easier than ever to create Google Street View experiences.
The new RICOH THETA S app for smartphones and tablets can be used to configure settings and instantly view spherical photos and video via wirelessly connected devices. An improved Wi-Fi® module transfers data four times faster than the current RICOH THETA model.
The RICOH THETA S also boasts a fully updated design and user interface. Usability has been improved with an elegant but practical sure-grip black rubber coating and handy face-mounted LED mode indicator. Internal memory has been increased to 8GB.
The original RICOH THETA was launched in 2013 as the world’s first mass-produced camera to capture fully spherical images. Since then, the series has inspired a unique genre of visual creativity for capturing everyday scenes from an all-new perspective.
The RICOH THETA S will go on sale at a base price of USD 349 (or equivalent) from late October in Europe (Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland, Turkey, and the UK), North America (Canada, Mexico, and the United States), and Asia-Pacific (Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand). Ricoh Imaging will market the RICOH THETA S, which was developed and manufactured by Ricoh.
Quotes from Ricoh, Ricoh Imaging and Google Maps
Wataru Ohtani, Ricoh’s Corporate Associate Vice President and General Manager of the New Business and Platform Development Center, said: “Ricoh pioneered the spherical camera market and thereby revolutionized how people view the world. This new model offers even higher image quality than before to satisfy both early adopters and people who enjoy communicating creatively through social media.”
Noboru Akahane, Ricoh Imaging’s President and CEO, said: “We are delighted to offer users increased value and richer 360-degree experiences with our new RICOH THETA S. The model’s enhanced image quality and other exciting new features are sure to expand the scope of RICOH THETA fans in all-new fields.”
Charles Armstrong, Google Maps Product Manager, said: “The Street View app allows people all over the world to explore user contributions, Google’s own imagery, and their own published photo spheres through a seamless world map of landscapes, landmarks, business interiors and more. The RICOH THETA S is a great tool to create this imagery, and we hope it inspires people to contribute to the map.”
*1. 1920 x 960 when playing back