The 18-megapixel Nikon Coolpix P520 is offering 42x optical zoom, a vari-angle, 3.2-inch, 921k-dot display and full manual control over the shooting settings. An optional Wi-Fi dongle can instantly transfer images and movies to any smartphone Nikon COOLPIX P520 key features are auto HDR mode, a customisable function button, a 1cm macro mode, Easy Panorama and 3D shooting modes, 7fps continuous shooting at full resolution, and the ability to use the optical zoom while recording a full HD movie.
Wide-angle high-power zoom equipped with a 42x optical zoom NIKKOR lens capable of super-telephoto shooting at the equivalent of the 1000-mm focal length, a 3.2-in. vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle, and an advanced vibration reduction (VR) function
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of its latest high-performance P-series COOLPIX camera , the new multi-functional COOLPIX P520 that supports full-scale photography.
The P520 is the successor to the COOLPIX P510 ultra high-power zoom camera. It is equipped with the most powerful zoom lens in COOLPIX history, a 42x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 1000 mm (equivalents in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths. An ACTIVE mode has been added to the lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function for more effective reduction of blur caused by camera shake with hand-held shooting of still images from a moving vehicle or movie recording while walking. In addition, the camera offers superior basic performance and a variety of advanced features, including a 3.2-inch vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle, a backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 18.1-million pixels, a movie recording function capable of recording1920 x 1080 60i or 50i movies, and a GPS function that supports point of interest (POI) display.
What’s more, the P520 is compatible with the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a* (available separately). This compatibility allows users to easily maximize the possibilities for staying connected with others proposed by Nikon through collaboration with smart devices that makes remote control over the camera possible and increases options for image transfer, as well as direct uploading of images to social networking sites and blogs.
- *The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device’s app store
COOLPIX P520 Primary Features
- A 42x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 1000 mm (equivalent in 35mm  format) range of focal lengthsThe 42x optical zoom NIKKOR lens built into the P520 is the most powerful lens in COOLPIX history, covering the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 1000 mm (equivalent in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths. This lens responds to the demands of a wide variety of scenes enabling telephoto shooting of subjects previously too far away, macro photography as close as 1 cm to the lens, and even dynamic wide-angle shots.
- Advanced compensation for camera shake with adoption of ACTIVE mode for the vibration reduction (VR) functionThe P520 is equipped with a lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function that effectively reduces the effects of camera shake. What’s more, an ACTIVE mode has been added for easier, more certain framing and recording of still images and movies by reducing the effects of camera shake, whether taking landscape pictures from a moving vehicle with hand-held shooting or recording movies while walking.
- A backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 18.1-million pixels for shooting at high sensitivities with little noiseThe camera is equipped with a backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 18.1-million pixels, which receives light more efficiently for superior high-speed processing performance. A function that combines two shots to create a single image and advanced noise-reduction technologies enable capture of images as intended, regardless of environmental lighting, even when shooting indoors or capturing night landscapes.
- Large and clear 3.2-in., approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD vari-angle monitor with wide viewing angle that can be tilted or rotated in almost any directionThe P520 is equipped with a TFT LCD monitor that, at 3.2 inches, is larger than that built into the P510. The bright, clear display makes framing images, viewing photos and movies already recorded, and reading camera menus and options easier than ever. The side-hinged vari-angle monitor enables shooting from a wide variety of angles, from low to high, and making even self portraits possible. Closing the monitor when framing shots through the viewfinder, or when carrying the camera while it is not in use, prevents the monitor from getting dirty or scratched.
- Function for recording1920 x 1080 60i/50i moviesFull-HD movies exhibiting superior picture quality can be recorded by simply pressing the camera’s movie-record button. The lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function is also supported with movie recording. In addition, users can express their own individual intent with movie recording and editing using functions like HS Movie, with which movies are played back in 1/4- or 1/2-speed slow motion, or 2x-speed fast motion, or the movie pause function, with which recording of a single movie file can be paused and then restarted (within 5 min.).
- A GPS function that records shooting location information with still images and moviesPosition information for shooting location is acquired via GPS and then recorded with still images and movies. The name of the place is recorded, and displayed POIs can be specified. Approximately 1,860,000 POIs are available. What’s more, when ViewNX 2 is used, a map showing shooting locations can be displayed in the computer monitor. The P520 also offers a log function that records movement over a specified interval as log data even when the camera is not in use or is turned off, allowing users to preserve a record of their movement on vacation, for example, for viewing on a map later. A-GPS files can also be downloaded to decrease GPS satellite acquisition time when the camera is turned on for smoother operation.
- *Point of interest (POI) information current as of April 2012.
- Support for the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a (available separately) for collaboration with smart devicesBy simply connecting the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a, true, high-quality photos and movies recorded with the P520 can be easily shared with a smart device. The view through the camera lens (live view) can be displayed on a smart phone or tablet screen for remote shooting, and images captured with the P520 can be transferred to the smart device over a wireless connection to send images to family and friends, or to upload them to blogs or social networking sites anywhere, anytime.
- *The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device. The app can be downloaded free of charge from Google Play’s Play Store.
Other COOLPIX P520 Features
- Approximately 7-fps high-speed continuous shooting* of up to 7 frames in a single burst at the maximum image size
- COOLPIX Picture Control, which can be used to adjust aspects such as the vividness of colors or the degree of sharpening applied to images prior to shooting according to the type of subject or scene, shooting conditions, or intent
- Target Finding AF, with which by simply pointing the camera toward the intended subject, the camera instantly predicts the portion on which focus should be acquired and then automatically selects the appropriate focus area and focus area size
- Special Effects that allow users to enjoy applying color and contrast effects to still images and movies prior to shooting, as well as a variety of image retouch functions, including Filter Effects that can be applied to images already recorded
- Available in three colors—black, silver, and red
- The AH-CP1 hand strap (available separately) for the P510, L810, and P7700 can be used
- *At a setting of Continuous H; when image quality is set to Normal and image size is set to 18M 4896 x 3672.
- *Trade names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".