Canon filed a new patent in Japan. The new patent describes a camera system with translucent mirror and electronic viewfinder (EVF).
The camera in the patent application has a built-in electronic viewfinder and a Sony-like translucent mirror instead of an optical viewfinder and reflex mirror.
Means Canon patent reverses a fixed semitransparent mirror, to just divert light to a phase AF unit and an EVF. See the patent details below.
Canon patents a camera with electronic viewfinder and translucent mirror
- Patent Publication No. 2015-97352
- Published 2015.5.21
- Filing date 2013.11.15
- Canon patents
- Half mirror and the optical path division by
- One of the light beam received by the image pickup device
- The other light flux I receive in AF sensor
- FPS of the AF sensor, faster than the image pickup device
- Pixel area of the AF sensor is larger than the image pickup device
- From the AF sensor and the image sensor to obtain an image to be displayed on the EVF or back display
What’s coming next from Canon’s labs?