Tamron announces the evelopment of 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 Lens for Sony E-mount. The lens is compact, lightweight, and easy to handle, adding Vibration Compensation image stabilization.
- Full-Frame | f/2.8 to f/22
- Fast, Compact Mid-Range Zoom
- Vibration Compensation IS
- VXD Linear Motor Focus Mechanism
- Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Fluorine Coating
TAMRON announces the development of 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (Model A065) for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless. Class-leading compact and lightweight* telephoto zoom
August 9, 2023, Saitama,
– Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Ajisaka), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the development of the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (Model A065), a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras.
|PRODUCT NAME||70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD (Model A065) For Sony E-mount (35mm full-frame)|
|DATE OF LAUNCH||Launch Planned in the Fall, 2023|
The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 marks the further evolution of the first-generation model that earned high acclaim in the marketplace and incorporates several enhancements. Leading the list of improvements of the new G2 lens is the incorporation of TAMRON’s proprietary VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism. The lens maintains the maneuverability of class-leading compact size and weight* while enabling shooting with greater stability.
The optical design has been revamped from the first-generation 70-180mm F2.8 and achieves uncompromising high image quality across the entire zoom range. TAMRON also shortened the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) at the wide end to 0.3m (11.8in) compared to the first-generation 0.85m (33.5in), enabling users to enjoy unique photographic expressions distinctive to the lens. Additionally, the new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom features TAMRON’s renowned VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism enabling high-speed, high-precision auto-focusing that performs well whether shooting stills or video. The new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom also supports the dedicated TAMRON Lens UtilityTM and TAMRON Lens Utility MobileTM apps that were developed in-house by TAMRON. The software can be used to customize functions based on various shooting styles for still photography and video. The new lens design improves operability and provides scratch resistance. This single lens combines profound maneuverability and practicality that is worthy of the second-generation G2 badge and will deliver shooting experiences that make a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens even more enjoyable.
1. Even with VC image stabilization, the lens is just 156.5mm (6.2in) long and weighs only 855g (30.2oz)
2. Revamped optical design delivers truly superb performance at all focal lengths
3. VXD provides high-speed and high-precision AF with vastly improved subject tracking
4. Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC mechanism
5. Achieves MOD of 0.3m (11.8in) at 70mm and 0.85m (33.5in) at 180mm
6. Proprietary software tool TAMRON Lens Utility for lens function customization
7. Additional features for greater convenience
8. User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating)
9. Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
10. 67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.