Nikon’s new Nikkor Z 28mm F2.8 is now in stock and shipping from major stores in US. The non-SE Nikkor Z 28mm f/2.8 is an inexpensive wide-angle lens that’s lightweight and ideal for travel. The US price is $296.95 and available at B&HPhoto and Adorama.
The 28mm f/2.8 is designed to be small and compact. It has a total length of about 1.7-inches and weighs 5.46 ounces (155 grams) which makes it the smallest and lightest among the Nikkor Z prime lenses. Nikon says that it believes the lens to be ideal for detailed photos and videos of food, DIY crafts, and fashion as well as everyday snapshots, group portraits, landscapes, and cityscapes. Basically, the lens is small, wide, and fast, which also makes it nimble and versatile for a variety of use cases.
Primary features of the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8:
- The smallest and lightest NIKKOR Z prime lens to date, with a length of approx. 1.7 inches (43mm) and weight of approx. 5.46 oz (155g).
- The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture allows for a shallow depth of field with pleasing bokeh as well as exceptional low-light capability, even during hand-held shooting.
- When mounted on a DX-format camera, such as the Nikon Z fc or Z 50, the focal length becomes a natural 42mm (equivalent to 35mm  format).
- A minimum focus distance of approximately 0.63 ft (0.19m) allows users to get close to their subjects for dynamic photography.
- Adoption of a multi-focusing system realizes natural rendering across the entire shooting range, as well as fast and accurate AF control, while maintaining a smaller body size.
- Designed with consideration of dust and drip-resistant performance2 so that it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Developed with consideration for video recording with extremely quiet operation, effective focus-breathing compensation, and stable exposure.
- The lens differs cosmetically from the previously announced NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 SE lens by featuring a modern black finish.