RICOH IMAGING officially announced the development of the HD PENTAX-D FA★ 85mmF1.4 SDM AW lens. This is a new-generation high-performance Star-series lens which is known for the perfect image quality. This lens is scheduled to be released in late 2020.
An ideal portrait-length prime, the Pentax K mount HD PENTAX-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 SDM AW from Ricoh pairs a bright, fast f/1.4 maximum aperture with a short-telephoto focal length to suit portraiture and other applications where shallow depth of field is desired.
Check out the press text with specs list below.
Development in progress of the lens HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4 SDM AW
Development of the new-generation D FA★ high-performance single focus lens for digital SLR cameras HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4 SDM AW
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING EUROPE, SAS. are pleased to announce the development of the new-generation high-performance Star-series lens, the HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4 SDM AW.
This product is the second “new generation D FA★” single focus lens following the “HD PENTAX-D FA★ 50mm F1.4 SDM AW” which we presented as the first lens with a fixed focal length of the “New Generation D FA ★”. This series is known for the perfect image quality and the lenses are characterized by the following parameters:
- Best possible image quality with uniform sharpness from the center to the edges of the image.
- Large aperture with a particularly expressive image effect.
- High quality workmanship and materials with high robustness and easy handling
The D FA ★ 50mm quickly became one of the most popular lenses for the PENTAX 35mm system. Therefore many PENTAX photographers have demanded for an extension of this range of prime lenses. We are therefore pleased to announce the development of another lens in this series of high-performance lenses. With the HD PENTAX-D FA★ 85mmF1.4 SDM AW, we follow the conquest of particularly high image quality without compromise.
Overview of the product under development
Model name: HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4 SDM AW
Launch date: Scheduled to be launched in late, 2020
- By incorporating three Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical elements, it effectively compensates chromatic aberrations and produces brilliant, high-contrast images even from open aperture.
- Adopts one aspherical lens and achieves high delineation performance with good correction of spherical aberration, coma and field curvature.
- High speed and smooth operation with newly developed SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) equipped with high torque ring type ultrasonic motor
- Developing as an AW (All Weather model) this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant structure to prevent the intrusion of water and dust into the lens interior.
The designs and specifications are identical to those first announced publicly about the lense’s development, and are subject to change without notice.
HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW
Equivalent to 130mm in 35mm format
|Angle of View (Diagonal)||
|Minimum Focusing Distance||
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||
Rounded diaphragm （85mm:F1.4-F2.8）
|Maximum Diameter x Length||
approx. 95mm x 123.5mm (approx. 3.7in. x 4.9in.)