Nikon has announced the Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S lens, a short telephoto lens for its full-frame mirrorless system.
The Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S is a perfect portrait lens with Nikon promising natural-looking bokeh and lens flare that is ‘effectively countered even in back-lit situations.’ Nikon also says focusing is fast and thanks to the new Eye-Detection feature of the Nikon Z cameras, you can lock onto a subject’s eye quickly and with ease.
The lens has a total of 12 elements, including two ED elements, along with Nikon’s Nano Crystal and Super Integrated coatings. . The 85mm F1.8 S has a nine-blade aperture, minimum focus distance of 0.8m (2.6ft – the same as the AF-S 85mm F1.8 G) and offers a maximum magnification of 0.12x.
Its focusing group is driving by a stepping motor. The lens is threaded for 67mm filters and features a large, customizable focus / control ring but lacks the dedicated control ring or M-Fn buttons featured on the pro-grade Z 24-70mm F2.8 S. Cosmetically, the new 85mm matches the design of the previously-announced 35mm and 50mm F1.8 ‘S’ lenses, and Nikon claims that it offers ‘professional grade dust and drip resistance’.
Nikon Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S Lens Features
- NIKKOR Z: designed around the wide Nikon Z mount, this lens can capture more light across the entire frame.
- S-Line: next-dimension optical design. Anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat. Smooth, silent multi-focusing system.
- Sharp detail: exceptional edge-to-edge performance. Minimum focus distance of just 0.80 m
- Tough build: every movable part of the lens barrel is sealed to protect from dust and water droplets.
- Great for movies: silent aperture adjustment and near silent AF. Focus breathing is all but eliminated.
- Customisable control ring: can be used for manual focusing (default), aperture control, or exposure compensation.
You can also check links below to order Nikon Z6 & Z7. The ‘S’ represents the subtle silver ring around the lens, according to Nikon.
- Nikon Z6 – Amazon | B&H Photo | Adorama
- Nikon Z7 – Amazon | B&H Photo | Adorama
- Nikon Z mount Lenses – Amazon | B&H Photo | Adorama
Regardless of what is next, stay tuned to our website to find out the latest digital camera news and Nikon Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".