Sony has officially announced the new FE 35mm f/1.8 lens (SEL35F18F), the latest addition to its E-mount full-frame line-up.
A 35mm prime lens is a go-to lens for so many photographers as its versatility means that it is the right choice for so many different kinds of shot,” said Yann Salmon-Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing for Digital Imaging, Sony Europe. “Our new 35mm FE lens combines brilliant corner to corner clarity with a truly lightweight design and we are confident that it will appeal to a wide range of stills and movie shooters.”
The US price is $748, pre-order options at B&H Photo Video/Adorama, release date in early August, 2019. The FE 35mm f/1.8 lens is a fast medium wide-angle lens for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. , which fills a hitherto gaping hole in the company’s full-frame lens lineup.
The metal and plastic-bodied FE 35mm F1.8 bears a close family resemblance to the older FE 28mm F2 and 85mm F1.8, but costs substantially more than both, at an MSRP of $750. It lacks the ‘G’ or ‘GM’ designations of other FE lenses, which denotes its positioning as an accessible, relatively inexpensive option for enthusiasts rather than professionals. Construction is rated as ‘dust and moisture resistant’, but we would not expect this lens to offer the same durability as one of Sony’s premium G Master-series optics.
At 280g (~10 oz) this is the lightest lens of its kind, and offers fast autofocusing thanks to a linear focus motor, and a close focus distance of just 0.22m (~9 inches). Linear focus response in MF mode will be welcomed by video shooters. In our initial testing, the FE 35mm F1.8 has shown itself to be a sharp, versatile lens which is capable of rendering very pleasant background blur.
Sony 35mm f/1.8 full frame lens key features:
High-resolution and large-aperture, full-frame performance in compact and lightweight lens
- Large F1.8 maximum aperture, weighing in at just 280 grams and measuring 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length); this new lens sets a new standard for portability
- Advanced optical construction, including an aspherical element to suppress aberration and deliver high resolution throughout the entire image frame; 9-blade circular aperture enhances beautiful bokeh
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m and maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography
Versatile control and handling for a wide range of imaging needs
- Conveniently placed, customizable focus hold button and a focus mode switch for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design add to the versatility and reliability of this new lens and invoke a feeling of confidence in the user
Quiet AF with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills
- Fast, precise and quiet linear-motor AF drive system for both stills and continuous focus control
Also join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography.
Skylum's all-in-one photo editor Luminar 2018 is out now and available for just $69 for new users, with big discounts for upgrading users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended".